wsg49

I have a new system running W7RC. I hooked up a Samsung T260HD monitor and had lots of problems, finally got a Vista driver and it got better. But now sometimes it all works fine, other times the monitor isn't detected at all and it stays blank. Sometimes a hard shutdown and startup fixes it, other times I have to hook up an old monitor as a second monitor to see anything. Also it sometimes sees two or three additional monitors that do not exist.

While it would be nice to find a magical fix for this, I am somewhat resigned to wait for the official release. What I am really hoping for is to find a way to lock in the configuration when I do occasionally get it right. How do I save the monitor configuration and turn off the detection on startup?

Solution
To address the issues you are facing with your Samsung T260HD monitor and the erratic behavior in detecting it correctly in Windows 7 RC, we can attempt to fix the problem and stabilize the configuration. Here are some steps you can follow to save the monitor configuration and disable automatic detection on startup:

Saving Monitor Configuration in Windows 7:​

1. Set Up Your Monitor Configuration:
    • First, make sure your monitor is connected and set up correctly.
    • Adjust all the settings, resolutions, and arrangements as you want them to be saved.
    []Using Control Panel:
    • Right-click on the desktop and select "Screen Resolution."
    • Click on "Detect" and arrange your monitors as needed.
    • Click...
To address the issues you are facing with your Samsung T260HD monitor and the erratic behavior in detecting it correctly in Windows 7 RC, we can attempt to fix the problem and stabilize the configuration. Here are some steps you can follow to save the monitor configuration and disable automatic detection on startup:

Saving Monitor Configuration in Windows 7:​

1. Set Up Your Monitor Configuration:
    • First, make sure your monitor is connected and set up correctly.
    • Adjust all the settings, resolutions, and arrangements as you want them to be saved.
    []Using Control Panel:
    • Right-click on the desktop and select "Screen Resolution."
    • Click on "Detect" and arrange your monitors as needed.
    • Click on "Apply" and then go to "Multiple displays" to set your preferred option.
    • Click "OK" to save the settings.
    [
    ]Save Display Configuration:
    • You can use third-party software or the built-in functionality on your system to save the display configuration.
    • Tools like DisplayFusion or UltraMon can help you save and reload monitor configurations easily.

Disabling Automatic Monitor Detection on Startup:​

[]Using Device Manager:
    • Press Win + R to open the Run dialog.
    • Type devmgmt.msc and press Enter to open Device Manager.
    • Expand the "Monitors" section.
    • Right-click on your monitor and select "Properties."
    • Go to the "Details" tab and select "Hardware Ids" from the dropdown.
    • Note down the monitor's Hardware Id.
    [
    ]Create a Custom INF File:
    • Generate a custom monitor driver INF file using the Hardware Id obtained.
    • This will prevent Windows from trying to detect a new monitor each time you start your system.
  2. Install the Custom INF File:
    • Right-click on the Windows button and select "Device Manager."
    • Find your monitor, right-click, and choose "Update Driver Software."
    • Select "Browse my computer for driver software" and choose the location of your custom INF file.

Notes on Windows 7 RC:​

• Keep in mind that Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) is an outdated version, and you may encounter compatibility issues with newer hardware like your Samsung T260HD monitor.
      • Upgrading to a newer, supported version of Windows would be advisable for better compatibility and stability.
      By following these steps, you should be able to save your monitor configuration and prevent Windows from automatically detecting the monitor on startup. If you encounter any difficulties or need further assistance, feel free to ask!

Solution
Back