Windows 7 CAN NOT ADD PRINTER: Print spool service not listed in service list.

Two points, the first is I would re-run the SFC after a reboot to see if it would help.

Second, it appears the file is the same for 32 and x64 bit and is only in the Windows\System32 folder, BUT there are other related files, like tcpmon.dll and tcpmonui.dll

It is not normal for files like this to disappear...... A repair install may still be the best option.

Two points, the first is I would re-run the SFC after a reboot to see if it would help.

Second, it appears the file is the same for 32 and x64 bit and is only in the Windows\System32 folder, BUT there are other related files, like tcpmon.dll and tcpmonui.dll

It is not normal for files like this to disappear...... A repair install may still be the best option.
Yes, but there should be a second location on his machine here C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-p..rtmonitor-tcpmonini_31bf3856ad364e35_6.1.7600.16385_none_2e6dc451c0fa9db5 which is where, I believe, the system file checker attempt to get the backup from and that file is apparently corrupted also. According to the CBS.log file that he posted the everything looked good except for this one file, and if he runs it again, with out replacing the one in the other location, I'm affraid it may very well re-corrupt the good file so I would recommend that he replace the file in that location also. I don't think they actually disappeared so much as became corrupted, probably due to something we haven't heard about yet and you're probably right a repair install would probably be the best approach, but he is also booting a Linux Distro so he may very well need your help if he takes that route because all that stuff you do when you help members with multi-boot issues and moving boot files and assigning active partitions and such is a bit out of my wheelhouse.

The "print spooler" service appears! Should I or should I do not re-write tcpmon.ini?

Hi Saltgrass and Trouble, thanks for staying there and discussing the best possibility. I notice that yesterday after executing sfc /scannow I forgot to reboot my laptop afterwards (silly mistake, I am very sorry). Today morning when I have turn it on (for the first time after executing sfc /scannow) I notice the miracle!
Now the print spool service is in the list of services and it is active!!:D You imagine my surprise!! It was like beating Goliat! And it seems that I can add printers now. Although I haven`t tried yet because the printer that I want to add is a network shared printer that lies in my job, in the Physics Department of La Plata, Argentina; and I am today, sunday, in my home at Buenos Aires (60 km away). In my house I have a printer that I can connect directly to my laptop and see if I can add it and print with it but I am afraid that this sittuation is very far (not only physically ;)) from the one I want to do (add the network shared computer of my job). I haven`t re-wrote or repaired the tcpmon.ini file using the one from Trouble because I was so happy and I was afraid that this repair would "damage" now what I have achived! (I see that you guys discuss if it is better to do a Repair Install or to repair the tcpmon.ini file). I tell you what I have planed I might do:
Today
1) Connect the printer I have at my home to my laptop.
2) Try to add this printer to my laptop system
a.1 In case positive, smile and try to print a page
a.2 In case positive, smile, uninstall it (I do not need it) proceed tomorow in my work to try to install the network shared printer (the one I really need)
b. In case negative of one of the cases above proceed to rename my current tcpmon.ini file to tcpmon.old and then copy the one that Trouble sent to me.
3) In case negative of the above proceedures, then proceed to an Repair Install (with the help of you guys, because of the dual partition mode that I have requires special attention as Trouble forsees).
What do you think?

Local printer can be added and works!!!

Folks,
Good news! Adding a local printer (my Epson Stylus CX5600 at my home) worked perfectly! The final test is the tomorow monday at my work trying to add the network shared printer (do not worry, I have the instructions in here Link Removed due to 404 Error , I have done that before with other computers with different versions of Windows). See you then!

I notice that yesterday after executing sfc /scannow I forgot to reboot my laptop afterwards (silly mistake, I am very sorry). Today morning when I have turn it on (for the first time after executing sfc /scannow) I notice the miracle!
Nice trouble-shooting, all's well that ends well :

cybercore said:
With 7 DVD in your drive, Start => type sfc /scannow and wait for the operation to complete

Did it help after you copied the Link Removed due to 404 Error ?

It worked without tcpmon.zip!

Dear cybercore, thanks for returning here again. As I explained, now print spooler service is shown in the list of services, it is running right now and I was able to add a printer (at least a local one, I have to see tomorow what happens with the network shared printer in my job) and the miracolous thing was (and is) that I have never repaired the tcpmon.ini file corrupted!!!!!! If tomorow I can set up the network printer of my job (without repairing tcpmin.ini) it will be twice a miracle! If that incredible thing happens, then for me tcpmon.ini can be corrupted for ever that I do not mind at all!
Cheers,
Don Fisico

print spooler service

Thank you for the information, which is very important to other users with this or a similar problem.

Do we understand it correctly, that you resolved the problem this way:

1. Start > type sfc /scannow
2. Wait for the scan to complete
3. Last was very important to Reboot ?

Thank you for your feedback.

The troubleshooting procedure

Cybercore,
Effectively, the troubleshooting procedure for this particular problem of "print spooler not running and missing on the service list", is like you said as folowing:
1) Run sfc /scannow.
Details: Do not forget to mention to open an command prompt as administrator (right clik on command console on the menu and choose run as administrator) and to have the Windows 7 DVD on the DVD tray.
2) Wait for it to complete
(I have to add something here before point 3)
2.1 Look at the CBS log (in the command prompt as administrator run notepad and open the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log), then pressing F3 (or selecting in menu Edit/Search the folowing) search the keyword "corrupted" and see if some files were corrupted, and in such case if the sfc had managed to repair them.
2.2 It is principally important that sfc has repair (if it was damaged) the file spoolsv.exe, I am not very sure (because of my case at least) that, if tcpmon.ini was damaged and sfc was unabled to repair it, that would be important or not. I would bet my soul on that, but, here I am with the tcpmon.ini file not repaired and still I am able to add printers (the final test will be tomorow with the network shared printer).
3. After that reboot
At this point, after rebooting and doing Start -> Run services.msc (or equivalent: control panel -> administrative tools -> Services) you should see (at least in my case it worked that way) "Print Spool" service in the list of services and active. The final check up of that the problem is completly solved is of course trying to add a printer and print a test page.
Cheers!

Cybercore,
Effectively, the troubleshooting procedure for this particular problem of "print spooler not running and missing on the service list", is like you said as folowing:
1) Run sfc /scannow.
Details: Do not forget to mention to open an command prompt as administrator (right clik on command console on the menu and choose run as administrator) and to have the Windows 7 DVD on the DVD tray.
2) Wait for it to complete
(I have to add something here before point 3)
2.1 Look at the CBS log (in the command prompt as administrator run notepad and open the file C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log), then pressing F3 (or selecting in menu Edit/Search the folowing) search the keyword "corrupted" and see if some files were corrupted, and in such case if the sfc had managed to repair them.
2.2 It is principally important that sfc has repair (if it was damaged) the file spoolsv.exe, I am not very sure (because of my case at least) that, if tcpmon.ini was damaged and sfc was unabled to repair it, that would be important or not. I would bet my soul on that, but, here I am with the tcpmon.ini file not repaired and still I am able to add printers (the final test will be tomorow with the network shared printer).
3. After that reboot
At this point, after rebooting and doing Start -> Run services.msc (or equivalent: control panel -> administrative tools -> Services) you should see (at least in my case it worked that way) "Print Spool" service in the list of services and active. The final check up of that the problem is completly solved is of course trying to add a printer and print a test page.
Cheers!
In researching your particular issue, I did find multiple reports of people suggesting that perhaps the System File Checker was reporting a false report of tcpmon.ini being corrupted. I suspect that this might be the case in your instance. I think you would see other problems cropping up if it was infact corrupted. If you look at your actual copy of the file you could certainly compare it to the one that I sent you and see if there are any marked differences.

It is possible...

Trouble,
Ok, I agree that could be the case: a false report of corrupted file for tcpmon.ini (By the way, why sfc do this false report?). I can check if that is my case if you want me to do. Just tell me how to do it. I mean: is there any command /program/utility that check and compares between two files? I think there is one in linux (altough I can not remember right now the command) , but I do not know the case in windows.

Final post, and thanks to all (SOLVED)

Hi folks, the news are good as I expected. Today morning I brought my laptop to my job and added the network shared printer without problems and also print some scientific articles without any problem also. So the state of the problem is: SOLVED! Thank you very much to all of you that have had participation of the solution of it. Thanks cybercore, Saltgrass and Trouble!

Hey don,

i really have exactly the same problem as u;

there are are a lot of trials and errors given by cybercore and saltgrass- mind telling me the exact path to solve this problem( assuming we have the same laptop-printer-everything)

thanks

Hi faz, I do not have this problem anymore as I have stated in my last post (several months ago). What was the solution? Well at first I used sfc command (explained in past post), but I have to admit that sometimes after a few days the problem appeared again! One day the problem dissapear at all, so I suspect that some patch of Microsoft has fixed the problem.

hey,

1)Um i typed sfc/scannow at command p, and the progress is like 13 % only and it doesn't budge. stuck at 13% with the following message:

Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them.
Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example
C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log

2) sorry to say, but i urgently need the printer for project and reading your solution post makes me dizzy; im not such a computer-person and i can follow a little bit in your solution-mind explaining.

Thank you so much for helping; really

Hi faz again,
As you can see in my profile, I am not an expert; I just followed suggestions of the other users, I can not help you. So I do not know what means the new problem that you have. Unless an expert is online and suscribed to this post, I think you will have no answer whatsoever. You have in my opinion two options:
a) To create a new post explaining your problem and to pray that someone will quickly answer you with the right solution.
AND be (better)
b) I strongly recommend to use another computer for printing the stuff of your project and to call a technician as soon as possible.
Good luck,
don

Hey,

I have the same problem which is that i do not have print spooler service. I use windows 7, not genuine cos my friend foolishly change it from windows vista.

I read your last post, u successfully and miraculously got the service back- i was wondering how do u do it- by reading your post/solution, i dont understand a thing, mind telling me in layman terms?

Hi, as I explained earlier: I used sfc /scannow and it worked. I have no other explanations to give you. Please stop requesting my help, i can not help you anymore. Either way I will unsuscribe from this post so futhers replies to this post will no longer been seeing by me.
I do not mean to be rude, but goodbye.

Back