Windows 7 can only create folders

ruggb

Extraordinary Member
I can't imagine that I never did this before, but today I wanted to create a TXT file under the WINDOWS folder and the only thing on the context menu was FOLDER.
I get the same context menu for any folder under the windows folder.

Is this normal??

Can it be changed??

thx

Last edited:
I would say it is normal. The Windows Folder is one of those they do not want you messing with.

Hi

You can copy or save a .txt file created in Notepad as whs said, or from any other word processor, in the Windows folder.

You can't save a .txt file under the Widows folder, only folders go under folders.
The files have to go in a folder.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do?

Mike

I think the OP has difficulties to distinguish between files and folders:

Files are data - a document, a picture, a video - files have a filetype, e.g. .txt
Folders are containers where files are being kept - folders do not have a filetype

If you check your system, you can right click and get an option to create a "Text Document" using the "New" option in some folders.

In the Windows folder, the only option is a create a folder and it has a shield.

Hi

I have the option to create a Text Document in my Windows folder.
The difference is in how you do it.

If you click the Windows Folder in the left pane you don't get the option to create a text document.

But it you click in the background of the right pane, the one that shows all the folders and files then you do get the option, and you can create a file called New Text Document.txt in the Windows folder.

What I don't get is what's the point of doing this?
What do you do with this file after you create it?

Mike

I suppose the relevance of why is not important.

I cannot duplicate your comments about creating a Text file in the C:\Windows folder. Have you modified your system, and if so, the OP might be interested in knowing how.

Hi

I didn't do anything special.

I just right clicked in the background and selected New.

Here's a couple of screen shots..

. Windows Explorer.jpg

New Text Document.JPG

Mike

Last edited:
It made a duplicate Window again.

First is showed my post with every thing all run together, then when I corrected it it made two windows?

Mike

Last edited:
OK, we r getting someplace - don't know where though.

Some people can do it, some can't. Sounds about right for Win OS.

As to why??? I have totally lost it, but I think I wanted to write a comment about something relative to something in that folder or another one under \Windows.

None of my computers will do it. I can't believe I haven't tried to do that before, but I guess I haven't.

If u figure out what u did to enable that, let us know.

Hi

Really the easiest way to do that is just to write a note in Word Pad and save it to the folder.
Even if you create a file this way it's still just a blank .txt file named New Text File.

You would still have to open it in a text editor to make it say something and name it so that it makes sense.

Just make a icon for Word Pad on your task bar and it only takes a few seconds to click on it write your note and save it.

Mike

thx, but I think back there someplace I did mention that I cannot save a file to anything under Windows either.
I can create it and save it someplace else, then copy/paste it into \Windows - that is it.

BTW, what is the significance of the shield next to the folder option when u rt clk/new/?

Hi

I wonder if this has to do with the UAC?

I have the UAC turned off, maybe that's why my Windows folder isn't protected as yours is.

I'm not sure what you mean by shield?
All I see is a Folder Icon.

Mike

Last edited:
THANK YOU MIKE!!!!!
The answer is that I only recently started using UAC, which is why I never ran into that before, and I have been using 7 since beta.
I had to turn off UAC and reboot for it to come back the way it was.
That is what the shield represents - UAC - it is next to most of the operations under User Accounts.
So UAC changed the context menu to prevent any operation except folder creation.
Though one can D&D or C&P files into the Windows folder.
Not sure what the thinking on that is, but the cause is not a mystery any more

thanks
bill

Back
Top Bottom