Windows 10 Cancelling Win 10 Download

a w

I have Win 7 . I signed up for the Win 10 upgrade , as I understood it would download , and then ask for confirmation before installing . It appears that it will install straight after downloading - right ? My Win Update will always try to start downloading it ( and I then cancel it manually ) , even though I have unselected it from optional downloads , and selected only other important downloads . How do I get it to stop downloading Win 10 , and only do regular important downloads ?
Thanks .

Have you tried right clicking it and choosing 'Hide update?

kemical - I didn't because I thought this meant that it would do the update without my knowledge .
You think this is not so , and that it will actually cancel it ?

Snowflake - where is the close button ?
Right clicking on that update allows for Copy Details or Hide Update .
I have tried unselecting it ( unclicking it's box ) , as mentioned above , but this doesn't help .

Yeah, sorry, it's the Hide option. I've replaced Windows Update and HP Support Assistant. You can hide it, I did it on two devices already and it works :)

OK - I've hidden it from the Optional Updates , and selected 2 important - it still tried to do the Win 10 , which I cancelled and it looks as tho the 2 important ones did get done . Hope I don't get the Win 10 downloading for my next important updates .
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 4.JPG
Thanks .

Looks like I'm back here .
I received another Win 7 important Update , when doing it , still get a message about installing Win 10 , but letting it continue will install the important selected update , and not the Win 10 . Will I always be getting the Win 10 message like this ?
Capture 1.JPG
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 3.JPG
Capture 4.JPG
Capture 5.JPG
Thanks .

Ok try this.. The actual update which makes your machine ready to download Windows 10 is this one:
KB3035583
Look in the installed updates and remove it. Make sure that when windows tries to install it again you right click and hide it. This should in theory stop your downloads of windows 10 dead.

Thanks kemikal . I had already uninstalled and KB3035583 , and yesterday Hid it .
Tried to find a list of Uninstalled Updates - couldn't find it .
Attached a sorted list of Installed Updates - you can see it's not there .
Capture 1.JPG

Hmm..damn. I would still keep right clicking the download and hiding it as it may eventually get the idea. I wonder if the update app is a little corrupt or something? Try running this trouble shooter and see if it helps any. (I kinda doubt it will but hey you just never know)
Fix Microsoft Windows Update Issues

Thanks guys . Kemical - the Win 10 download is Hidden already succesfully - it's just that it somehow appears when doing regular updates now . I'll try that Fix - you could be right .

Ok bud sounds good. I'm just hopping off into the Witcher 3.. I''ll be back :)

Ran that Fix Tool , and it found problems - attached
Win Update Diagnostic.JPG

Attachments

• Win Update Diagnostic 25602934.pdf
    82 KB · Views: 1,753
Last edited:
Thanks Snowflake24694 . I did in fact rebuild the Win 7 , when I bought this laptop ( ASUS G73S ) , and removed the Recovery Partition , as is sometimes done . It's never caused me any trouble up to now , as far as I know .
Could anything other that the utility fixed , be connected with the Update thing ?
Suppose on my next Update , I'll see .

Back
Top Bottom