Windows 10 Cancelling Win 10 Download

It might be that even if you remove the update something is still left behind which initiates the download. Try this. Make sure everything that needs to be removed is removed and anything else is right clicked and hidden.
Open an admin command prompt and type (or copy and paste):
cleanmgr/sageset:1
Press enter

You'll see a Disk Clean dialogue box appear but this is like an advanced version with many more checkboxes. Go through the checkboxes making sure you check the boxes for old update data. Click ok and the box will disappear. To get the advanced Disk clean app, you've just set up, to run type this (in the same admin command prompt):
cleanmgr/sagerun:1
Press enter and it will cycle.
Once again whether this works or not is up for debate but it's worth a try i guess?

Thanks kemical - this does make a lot of sense .
I ran the cleanmgr/sageset:1 , and there are a few there :
1. Previous Windows Installations
2. Service Backup Files
3. Temporary Windows Installation Files
4. Windows Update Cleanup
5. Files Discarded by Windows Upgrade
6. Windows Upgrade Log Files
All of these have the blue symbol next to them ( see attached capture ) .
Which ones should I choose ?
Capture.JPG

Well Windows update cleanup is one I'd go for. This may mean you might not be able to uninstall any of the updates which are currently on the system which is why I said make sure everything is gone that you want gone. (anything installed after this point can be uninstalled of course).
To be honest I'd check the lot apart from Service back up files.

I forgot to mention it can take a while to run through so be patient.

kemical - I was off-line for a while . I would like to do this .
Can you please explain , why you think , I might not be able to uninstall any of the updates which are currently on the system .
Will I not see them in the list of Installed Updates ?
I really don't know if there may ever be an old update , which I may in the future need to delete .
This would be a pretty remote possibility ?

This would be a pretty remote possibility ?
Pretty remote really but if your unsure about using it just create a system restore point before doing so. At least then you have a point to go back to if anything goes wrong.

OK kemical - I did it . I deselected Service Backup Files as you suggested , and also Windows Upgrade Log Files ( after reading it's description ) . Think that's OK? It actually went a lot quicker than I expected . Decided to do a Restart , just to play safe . Surprised to see Win Configuring Update or similar before shutdown and then similar on Startup . Reached 100% , and then stayed like that for quite some time . Saw disk light flashing , so left it . It then gave me cleaning up , which lasted even longer , and then login screen . I suspect that some of those files could only be deleted before Win 7 is up ?
Now to wait for next update .
That was a really handy bit of info on MSDOS cleanmgr . Is this stuff documented someplace or Microsoft "in-house" ?
Anyway thanks again .

Is this stuff documented someplace or Microsoft "in-house" ?
Just something I picked up from an excellent range of guides which i link to here:
TweakGuides Tweaking Companion for Windows 8
The Windows 10 version won't be out for some time yet but they are a wealth of information and available free. (Paid versions do exist however). Picking up the Windows 8 version is still worth a read though as much will still be the same I'm sure.

Did a Win Update , was busy , and very cleverly forgot to look if the Win 10 thing came up or not .
Will have to wait till next one .

Well , I just did a Win Update - still shows me the Win 10 message , restore etc , but will only do the selected update and not Win 10 . At least much better than I was .
Will try cleanmgr and select Windows Upgrade Log Files .

I guess that's better but see how you go after you perform the above. It's odd it cannot be stopped for some reason..

Tried cleanmgr and selected Windows Upgrade Log Files - same result .
Might selecting Service Backup Files have any effect ?
At any rate , I guess I can live with that .

Thanks kemical - I actually did that - but possibly it didn't go thru correctly .
Seems to make sense - I'll give it a go .

OK - I did that - looks like my previous reservation cancellation did go thru OK , as you can see from attached .
I'll probably leave as is , as things seem to be OK , in spite of that message .
ScreenHunter_14 Aug. 19 16.53.jpg
Thanks for the help .

Back