Windows 7 cannot adjust HDMI output brightness display

masri99

hi guys, i'm having trouble adjusting my screen brightness on my TV when it's connected via a HDMI cable to my laptop. If i try to increase the brightness through my laptop (VAIO VGN-SR) it does so only on my laptop display, while my TV remains the same. Instead if i try to do the opposite, adjusting the brightness through my TV (Panasonic TX-L32D25E) it doesn't change anything whatsoever. The thing is everytime i watch a movie through my laptop the screen brightness on my TV is too dark and i can't adjust it, however if i watch the other normal channels i can adjust the screen brightness without any problems. Does anybody know how i can increase the brightness on my TV when connected to a laptop? Is it an issue regarding the computer rather than the output device?
thank you

hi, the operating system is windows 7 64-bits, but i don't seem to know what the graphics are, where do i have to go to check it?

follow these instructions
on keyboard press windows key + r a run box will open then copy and paste msinfo32 into the open box and click on ok then a system information window will open

go to the context on the left of the window click on components click on display and you will see what your hardware is and post results here

Name ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9553&SUBSYS_9033104D&REV_00\4&15A87BDD&0&0008
Adapter Type ATI display adapter (0x9553), ATI Technologies Inc. compatible
Adapter Description ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
Adapter RAM 512.00 MB (536,870,912 bytes)
Installed Drivers atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version 8.633.0.0
INF File oem2.inf (ati2mtag_M9x section)
Color Planes Not Available
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1280 x 800 x 59 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xC0000000-0xFEBFFFFF
I/O Port 0x0000D000-0x0000D0FF
Memory Address 0xD0020000-0xD002FFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 4294967294
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys (8.1.1.921, 5.76 MB (6,037,504 bytes), 8/20/2009 12:29 AM)

thanks right go here AMD Support & Drivers and fill out your spec (see pic) for the ccc(CATALYST CONTROL CENTER) from amd download and install Brys Snap 01 ‎27 ‎February ‎2012 .png

i put the exact information but once i download it, it says the installation cannot be completed due to the incompatible hardware/software on the laptop. what should i do?

i put the exact information but once i download it, it says the installation cannot be completed due to the incompatible hardware/software on the laptop. what should i do?

hi sorry just see your post

mmm i thought the ccc would install for you so you could control the settings ok i will research i bit more for you. so when you have the tv plugged in go to screen resolution settings copy and paste this in the start menu search box and you will get a result at the top left adjust screen resolution click on this andBrys Snap 01 ‎01 ‎March ‎2012 .png a window will open now can you send me a screenshot of this please?

are you using
extended desktop to this display setting when you click on the display box for your tv and are you using the laptop display as main display?

Last edited:
HDMI settings.png sorry for my ignorance, but i don't undestand what you meant in the last paragraph. When i connect my laptop to the TV i use a HDMI cable, and on the TV there are 4 different HDMI inputs, so when i go on the channel in which the HDMI cable is connected, the screen on my laptop is displayed on the TV. Thank you for you help so far!

hi click the box which is your laptop screen and make this primary if not sure click identifiy try the EXTEND DESKTOP in the settings box for the laptop screen so you have two active screens not clones you should be able to move your mouse in and around the two screens.and drag and drop windows on each screen. you should see two screens 1 & 2. like mine in post 13 but i have 3 screens. the idea is to use the laptop as the primary desktop and move programs etc to the other screen like a dvd player to watch films or a web browser to watch youtube

ok i did that but i tried adjusting the screen brightness from the laptop and it is not responding on the TV

SORRY ......................

The AMD Mobility Radeon Driver Verification tool helps you determine your notebook’s compatibility with generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers. It helps to prevent incorrect installation on incompatible notebooks which may lead to disabled features or functionality.

If you experience difficulty while using the generic AMD Catalyst Mobility drivers, we recommend reverting to the driver provided by your notebook vendor. Please contact your notebook vendor for their most recent graphics drivers.

The following notebooks are not compatible with this tool:
Notebooks equipped with switchable graphics
Toshiba® notebooks
Sony® VAIO® notebooks
Panasonic® notebooks

Last edited:
Back