Windows 10 Cannot boot with 2nd HD plugged in. POST Windows 10 re-install

zx96r

Hello,

Summary of problem:
After re-installing Windows 10 on my SSD, I have to have my 2nd HDD unplugged to get it to boot to windows. As a test step, I did configure the HDD SATA port for hot swap mode. This does allow me to boot the computer with only the SSD plugged in and once it boots, I plug in the HDD. HDD work just fine and all data is there.

During the re-install of windows, I am pretty sure I had the HDD unplugged, but not 100% sure.

Below is a screen shot of the Boot Manager.

Below is a screen shot of Disk Manager:

PC Details:
SSD: Qty1 , SanDisk 250GB Ultra II
HDD: Qty1, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Mother Board: Asus Prime B350-Plus

Other Notes:
  1. Before I did this re-install, the SSD had two partitions from the factory. I dont remember details but I had to delete both partitions to re-install windows.
  2. When I try to boot the computer with both HDs plugged in, the SSD doesn't show up in the bios boot menu (although I have a couple of time gotten it to show up if a remove power from Motherboard). I cannot get it to boot from SSD if HDD is plugged in.

Please let me know if any additional details would help.

During a typical Windows install the installer will create at least 2 partitions, so either you did some kind of custom install.

• Is your system configured to boot legacy (MBR) or UFI (GPT)?
  • Was Windows installed on the second drive?
  • If yes, is any of the install still intact on the second drive?
  • Which sata connectors are each drive plugged into on the motherboard?

Actually looking back at your screenshots because it shows winload.exe that would indicate you're booting legacy (MBR). It's possible you have a lingering MBR record on the other hard drive and that drive may be on a lower number sata connector, so Windows is trying to read the boot loader. You could delete the boot loader or try reordering the boot order in the firmware.

• Is your system configured to boot legacy (MBR) or UFI (GPT)?
  • Was Windows installed on the second drive?
    • Never installed windows on this second drive
  • If yes, is any of the install still intact on the second drive?
  • Which sata connectors are each drive plugged into on the motherboard?
    • The SSD (C:/ drive) is on SATA port 1.
    • The HDD is currently on SATA port 2 but I have tried it port 5 but no impact.

Since windows did not create 2 partitions on the SSD, maybe I did something wrong during the install. Should I wipe the HDD or maybe try re-install windows on SSD?

Would I have a lingering MBR record on the HDD if i never installed windows on that drive?

Thanks for your help Neemobeer.

reinstalled windows, that fixed it. now partitions where correctly created and can boot with both HDs plugged in

Back