Windows 7 Cannot change mouse pointer

Starkman

Hello all,

I've searched here and in Google, but I can't find a satisfactory answer.

I open the mouse section in Control Panel, choose the Pointer tab and set it to the pen. Well, applying it or OKing it doesn't work; nothing takes. I try browsing to the pen curser, but it still doesn't take. The mouse still stays as a white arrow. I can change only the arrow to black, large, small, etc. Any ideas?

Running Windows Home Prem.

Thanks,

Starkman

I take it, this is a new problem? And the mouse and system are as they were when everything worked? If you have got yourself a new mouse, especially a gaming mouse or such, it could simply be a driver issue, you need to have the specific drivers.

One easy cure could be, untick "Allow themes to change mouse pointers", in Control Panel\Mouse\Pointers.

A clean boot might help to solve the problem, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

It's not necessarily a Windows problem, it could be another program affecting. Something has changed, I presume?

Best of all, not least luck! :)

I take it, this is a new problem? And the mouse and system are as they were when everything worked? If you have got yourself a new mouse, especially a gaming mouse or such, it could simply be a driver issue, you need to have the specific drivers.

One easy cure could be, untick "Allow themes to change mouse pointers", in Control Panel\Mouse\Pointers.

A clean boot might help to solve the problem, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

It's not necessarily a Windows problem, it could be another program affecting. Something has changed, I presume?

Best of all, not least luck! :)

Well, no, it's not new in that I never tried to change the mouse before. I have rebooted and, I can't think of anything that could get in the way of changing the mouse curser. Seems so straight-forward, you know. Tried it again just now and the only curser it will use is the standard arrow. I am, however, able to change it to black, extra big, etc., but I can't choose any of the other types of cursers.

Oh well, that's Windows!

Thanks again

Hello all,

I've searched here and in Google, but I can't find a satisfactory answer.

I open the mouse section in Control Panel, choose the Pointer tab and set it to the pen. Well, applying it or OKing it doesn't work; nothing takes. I try browsing to the pen curser, but it still doesn't take. The mouse still stays as a white arrow. I can change only the arrow to black, large, small, etc. Any ideas?

Running Windows Home Prem.

Thanks,

Starkman

In the Mouse Properties, look under Customize > click Browse > scroll down to pen.cur ( see my screenshot) > click it >click Open > click OK.
Image 5.png

You should have the "pen " cursor now.

adding...... as already mentioned to you, UN-check " Allow themes to change mouse pointers " if you want to keep the pen cursor.

In the Mouse Properties, look under Customize > click Browse > scroll down to pen.cur ( see my screenshot) > click it >click Open > click OK.
View attachment 25988

You should have the "pen " cursor now.

Okay, I am...(wow, this is amazing, simply amazing)...I am an idiot. So, yes, I have the theme box unchecked, and I had tried browsing and all that, BUT (and here's where I get Idiot of the Year)...BUT once the pen curser showed, I didn't realize I still had to select it. I mean, it's there, it's in the box where my arrow curser was. Why should I have to select it. Well, I did and BINGO! All is well.

Lesson still not learned, because I'm sure the next time I'm doing something that requires this kind of procedure I will still not get it!

Thanks a million, folks,

Starkman

As to feedback, I don't know if there's an additional something or other I have to do to ensure that the answers I got worked.

Starkman

Okay, I am...(wow, this is amazing, simply amazing)...I am an idiot. So, yes, I have the theme box unchecked, and I had tried browsing and all that, BUT (and here's where I get Idiot of the Year)...BUT once the pen curser showed, I didn't realize I still had to select it. I mean, it's there, it's in the box where my arrow curser was. Why should I have to select it. Well, I did and BINGO! All is well.

Lesson still not learned, because I'm sure the next time I'm doing something that requires this kind of procedure I will still not get it!

Thanks a million, folks,

Starkman

You are welcome.

Starkman

Look at it this way.......

Whenever you click the " Browse " button, you are in essence asking to see a list of choices. If you find one you like, you need to select it.
Hence clicking at chosen item and then clicking at Open or something similar will be the action required.

Last edited:
Glad you got it working. As to mention, I don't like people calling themselves or others idiots. Not very nice, is it?

Hope you enjoy your pen. :up:

Glad you got it working. As to mention, I don't like people calling themselves or others idiots. Not very nice, is it?

Hope you enjoy your pen. :up:

What?
Did I call the OP an idiot.
Explain yourself !!

If you are accusing me, you'd better get the fact straight and prove it.

Last edited:
He was not "talking" to me, but the implication was there.
Otherwise, where does that " Not very nice, is it?" come from?

The OP called himself an "idiot" (post #6) and Pauli said "I don't like people calling themselves.."
Believe me, it's not directed at you.

Last edited:
The OP called himself an "idiot" (post #6) and Pauli said "I don't like people calling themselves.."

I'd read all the posts.
The whole sentence was >>>
As to mention, I don't like people calling themselves or others idiots. Not very nice, is it?

I'd read that.
The whole sentence was >>>
As to mention, I don't like people calling themselves or others idiots. Not very nice, is it?

It's a general statement. Wow! It seems to me that you are the one making false accusation here. Anyway, I'll let Pauli explain his self.

Have a good one and take it easy.

Cheers!

It's a general statement. Wow! It seems to me that you are the one making false accusation here. Anyway, I'll let Pauli explain his self.

Have a good one and take it easy.

Cheers!

Your action is honourable. I respect that.
I read that reply ( #11) differently. That whole second sentence is unnecessary and only opens to misinterpretation.
Had he not included " or others ", I would have no issue with it.

Have a good day.

Your action is honourable. I respect that.
I read that reply ( #11) differently. That whole second sentence is unnecessary and only opens to misinterpretation.
Had he not included " or others ", I would have no issue with it.

Have a good day.

Yeah, you read it this way: "I don't like others calling someone..." instead of "I don't like someone calling themselves or others..."

Nothing wrong with Pauli's statement. Just a wrong interpretation. :)

I am not siding with Pauli here. I just thought I have to say something.
Apologies to the OP for these extra off-topic posts. :)

Okay, I am...(wow, this is amazing, simply amazing)...I am an idiot.
It was Starkman who called himself by that expression. By no means was my text meant towards anyone else, except in a general sense, it wasn't even meant against Starkman, it was meant for him. I don't like name calling, although I admit the spirit of the saying, it's like "I'll kill you", when the meaning is not seriously meant.

It could be considered a matter of human dignity. Let's keep it, and give it to others.

Off topic, yes. Insulting or offending, no. I do apologize David, for the mess.

Last edited:
Back