Windows 7 cannot click on certain mkv file

xxgiga

Hello, recently I got some problem with my win7. Yesterday I downloaded 2 MKV files and I can't click/right-click on them as it shows error message "Windows explorer has stopped working", then I've been given 2 options : Check for solution or Restart the program. And it lags so much when the message showed up.

However, I still able to play those 2 files if I double-click on it fastly (before the error message showing up) and the video is okay too. Since my other mkv files I had (and other various file formats like AVI, MP4 etc..) are working just fine, I thought there's something wrong with the latest mkv files I've downloaded. Then I tried to convert it to become avi, but my converter won't read the file because it's in chinese. I'm unable to rename it too OTL
Then it must be something wrong with my windows explorer.

I saw similar problem like this in THIS THREAD, but the poster was trying to delete the file, while I dont want to delete my files because they're both worth almost 2GB in total :( Unless there's any valid reasons about the way I downloaded them (ie, pause-start the downloads can interrupt the file).

I hope anyone can help me :D
Thank you :)

By the way, somehow I managed to open it in VirtualDub and I'm able to convert them to AVI (it took 3,5 hours to finish converting for 1,8 GB files! o_O) and I'm using cmd to delete the mkv files just like in the link above.
Is it count as solved?

But I'm still curious of what causing this file to corrupt my windows explorer, it will be nice if there's another way to fix it in case I get another similar problem some time in the future, without having to spend my time converting it @.@

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is some additional information regarding explorer crashing with various video formats, especially .mkv files, and a lot of people have had success setting explorer properties to "Always show icons, never thumbnails". This supposedly prevents explorer from attempting to preview the file in order to render a thumbnail of the contents. So you might want to give that a go and see if it resolves the issue.
Open computer
from the menu bar (if menu bar is not present hit the "Alt" Key) select Tools->Folder Options->View Tab->Top Check Box (Always sow icons, never thumbnails) check the box.
There is also reports of others having problems with conflicting codec packages, who have reported some success when uninstalling all third party codec packs and choosing a single package, there seems to be a general concensus that the "Combined Community Codec Package is a particularly good one, although I have no direct knowledge of this. You might want to try googling ".mkv file crashes explorer" for more information and also googling Combined Community Code Package for a download resource if interested.
Hope this helps and keep us posted.
Welcome to the forums
Regards
Randy

Hi Randy, sorry for MIA for weeks here. I just want to inform that I somehow can make it to be clickable, removable and other things. I'm using this method Organize -> Layout -> uncheck the Details Panel and leave only Navigation Panel checked. I'm not sure if this is the same with the way Randy told me or not ;w;

Thank you so much for the help! :)

No problem, I understand completely, I have been away a bit recently myself.
If you have found your own way to make things work to your satisfaction and you're happy with it, then I'm happy as well.
Thanks for the followup and we hope to continue to see you around the forums as your time permits.
Best Wishes
Randy

Media Player, won't play a lot without the proper Codecs.
For myself and all my customers, I install the latest "KLite Codec Pack". It's updated often so always look for the very latest.
There is a different Codec pack for XP, Vista and Windows 7. I take the latest version of all three with me on every service call.
When installing, it will detect and warn you about any old 'Broken' codecs. Allow it to remove those.

That's the best advise I can give.

:cool:

Hi OldTimer,
Yes I had KLite codec pack installed in my computer, and I don't have any problem with playing any kind of video formats so far (well I only unable to play .rmvb, but I guess it's because KLite codec doesn't get along well with codecs from VirtualDub & x264vfw), the problem came from the Windows Explorer in WIndows 7 which I never had it when I was using XP.

Thank you so much for stopping by :D

I've had this Windows Explorer stopped working for a while and finally tracked it down to a download of a MKV movie file,in the past I had to start up in safe mode and delete the folder before I found it was the MKV file that was the culprit.I Googled the problem and found this Forum and read Trouble solution and tried it out and it works beautiful.
Thankyou Trouble:) I am now a fan.

I've had this Windows Explorer stopped working for a while and finally tracked it down to a download of a MKV movie file,in the past I had to start up in safe mode and delete the folder before I found it was the MKV file that was the culprit.I Googled the problem and found this Forum and readTrouble solution and tried it out and it works beautiful.
Thankyou Trouble:) I am now a fan.

Thanks for joining our community and taking the time to provide us with information regarding your problem. Very glad to hear that you found the forum and this particular thread useful.
Welcome and we hope to continue to see you around.
Regards
Randy

Back