Windows 7 Cannot delete folder/file.

TALLY

Recently I reinstalled windows 7 Ultimate. So, I got one of those "windows.old" folders with all my old stuff in it. I take all my stuff out, but for some reason it wont let me delete the windows old folder.

It says "This is no longer located in C:\ Verify the items location and try again".

So, when I actually open up the folder to see whats in there, I see this...

windows.old > Users > User Name > AppData > Local > Temp > OICE_111809DF-711E-4F89-8E56-6F587DD03BF5.0 > 379F2358.file

I cant delete as administrator. Ive tried changing the permission and rights around. Since it says its not really there nothing evar works.

It is saying that the file I have specified does not exist or is not visible to file assassin. Please select another file.

I have tried a couple file shredders and all of them say the same thing, that the file does not exist or something similar. It really annoys me, because how are you going t tell me it doesnt exist when Im staring right at it.

Have you attempted to use the disk cleanup method described here.

Yeah Ive tried that a couple times and I did it once more after you recommended it. Ive tried all kinds of disk cleaners, registry cleaners, defag programs and no progress. It always says that the file no longer exists except I can see the file and its keeping the folder from deleting.

Do you think trying to delete it in safe mode would have any effect? Anything else I should try while in safe mode?

Renaming it might help. Try .bak or something similiar. But I will tell you, I did that to one file the other day and it still would not delete. I had to move it twice to get it to release.

If that won't won't do it, does shift+del help? Can you move it, if so try moving it to another folder, and maybe again after that.

If none of that works, you might try booting to a repair cd or install DVD and using the command prompt option to see if it will delete.

Something probably still has a hold on it because it has some link to another part of your system.

Renaming it might help. Try .bak or something similiar. But I will tell you, I did that to one file the other day and it still would not delete. I had to move it twice to get it to release.

If that won't won't do it, does shift+del help? Can you move it, if so try moving it to another folder, and maybe again after that.

If none of that works, you might try booting to a repair cd or install DVD and using the command prompt option to see if it will delete.

Something probably still has a hold on it because it has some link to another part of your system.

Yeah Ive tried both of those things with no luck. I cant move it, rename it, or delete it. I could understand if it was a problem where I dont have rights because its being used by something or its a system file, but the problem is that it is saying the file does not exist. It says it cannot find the item when i try to change anything about it. Its like a ghost file or something.

Which command do is use in the command prompt? I havent tried that yet. Im not super proficient with command prompts.

The file/folder is not really messing anything up. Its more of an aesthetic type of thing. I dont like having two windows files on my harddrive. I run a tight ship and I dont like out of place files. So, I guess I could live with it being there, but Id like to find a way to take care of it.

Thank you to everyone who has helped.:)

Have you tried deleting it from a command prompt? Might work

Otherwise, a deeper way is to do a search in the registry for the full name "OICE_111809DF-711E-4F89-8E56-6F587DD03BF5.0 > 379F2358.file", and , if you are luck enough to find it, delete the entire dtring from there. - Usual warning. Backup your registry first.

Back