Windows 7 Cannot Open Any Programs - get Error Message "windows cannot access specified device, path or file .

laopa

Hi,

Newbie here and it is not even my own PC. My kid has a Toshiba Mini Notebook (NB255) with Windows 7 Starter.

Starting yesterday we can no longer open any programs on the Notebook. The system boots and the desktop loads but only a small number of system? programs load and then nothing else.

If you click on any desk top icon or even go to the programs list and choose folders etc they all respond the same way with the ERROR Message "windows cannot access specified device, path or file .........".

I have booted into Safe Mode and all is OK. I have scanned with Microsoft Essentials, SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes AntiMalware and all seams clean. I have Restored the system back to three different Restore points but still get the Errors.

The same thing happened a few weeks ago after I did an Update but I was able to fix it by Restoring the system back to a date before the update.

This time we have not done any updates but when I checked the Update Log it showed a number of Updated that we did not perform.

The system is set to notify of updates but not to download or install them?

On top of Security Essentials I have OnLine Armor Free on board but cannot open that in Safe Mode anyway (also cannot turn on Real Time Protection in Microsoft Essentials) or in normal mode - cause I get the Error Message in Normal Mode.

BIG BIG HELP ................. I am totally stuck here and have no idea how to fix the Notebook.:(

Last edited:
So have you gone back to the earliest restore point? I so sounds like you might have to run a system recovery.

I ended up at the earliest Restore Point I had after two others did not resolve the issue. Third did not help either.

Not sure how to "run a system recovery"? Sorry??

That's not going to be from a Backup I should have BUT did not make is it?

Hi,

Either in a fit of desperation, at the threat of a "system recovery", or an Epiphany, I un-installed Online Armor in Safe Mode and now everything works when I reboot into Normal Mode. (touching wood)

Need to think about that, and consider a possible new freeware Firewall?

No over yet, I will be back after I update all the Microsoftware and 3rd Partyware.

However from your perspective, it is probably better that is is all fixed.

Glad it's sorted. For security I rely entirely on the built-in Windows firewall and for antivirus I use Microsoft Security Essentials. These are both free and despite covering a very broad range of internet connections I have never suffered a problem. IMHO many of the commercial packages are bloated with unnecessary features and gimics, many of which serve only to consume cpu power, memory and bandwidth.

Back
Top Bottom