Windows 7 Cannot Open Any Programs! Pretty Please HELP Me!

Lero

As of last night, my computer will no longer allow any programs to open. This includes IE and all other web browsers. There is no error message, the applications simply fail to open. The hourglass appears as if a program is starting, but then it vanishes and the program never opens.

I tried system restore, and that did not help at all. I am not very tech-savvy, so I am really hoping for a relatively non-complex solution. I very much want to avoid complete system recovery. I am wondering if re-installing Windows could fix this. Also, if I do re-install Windows, will I lose my data?

Please help me. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Have you tried doing a complete shutdown, then rebooting?

Have you run any virus scans?

One thing I should clarify from the initial post is that upon booting, I am able to open programs for a few minutes. However, after five minutes or less, the issue I've described kicks in. I've rebooted numerous times. I tried running Malwarebytes several times, but it completely froze at the end of the scan.

If you start in Safe Mode, can you run for a while?

Will Malwarebytes complete in Safe Mode?

Can you use MSconfig.exe to stop some startup programs from running?

Are you seeing anything in Event Viewer such multiple error messages about certain items?

Everything runs in Safe Mode the way it does in normal mode. Programs open for the first few minutes, but then don't open at all after that. Malwarebytes will not complete in Safe Mode. I can use MSconfig.exe, but I don't really know how. I've never used Event Viewer, but I was able to open it upon startup and I saw that the majority of the errors are coming from "Service Control Manager."

Open an elevated Command Prompt (run as admin), then type: sfc /scannow, then hit Enter. Maybe the system file checker can fix it.

Hi

I think this is the 3rd post like this in the last few weeks.
That make me think this is a malware issue.

At least try this, change the name of the malwarebytes .exe file to something else.
Like dorkbites.exe, and try running it in safe mode again from a USB stick.

Some malware actively blocks known anti malware software.
If you change the name it doesn't know what it is and leaves it alone.

Since you can still boot into Safe Mode I'd back up all my important data as soon as possible, to an external USB hard drive.
If you don't have one they are cheap and everyone should have any thing you don't want to lose, photos music etc backed up anyway.

Mike

I tried the sfc /scannow and it didn't find anything.

I tried changing the name of the Malwarebytes exe file and that didn't work either.

I've backed up my data and I feel like I might be out of options besides recovering the system. If anyone can think of anything else I can try to avoid this, now would be the time to tell me.

Thanks for all the advice!

Back