Windows 10 Cannot Open JPEG Files

parksplace5454

This situation is driving me crazy. When I receive a jpeg photo in my email on my Windows 10 Laptop, it will not open. The exact same file when received in my email on my Android Galaxy phone opens just fine. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Is it really a jpeg, it may be some other format that Windows doesn't understand. On a Windows system open the picture and a hex editor and post the first 16 bytes

A jpeg should always start with FF D8 FF E0 00 10 4A 46 49 46

Thanks for your response. This situation is common across a number of my friends; not only with this one. At any rate, I am posting the bytes.
jpgbytes.jpg

That should still be a jpeg but with exif data on it, and it should still open on Windows. What's the error?

I attempted to open the file with paint.net... still no luck.

Paint.net.jpg

Application version: paint.net 4.2.5

PaintDotNet.Imaging.BadHeaderException (0x88982F61): D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICImagingFactory.cpp (902) : hr = m_pImagingFactory->CreateDecoderFromStream( spStream, preferredVendor.HasValue ? &NativeConversions::ToNative(preferredVendor.Value.Guid) : 0, static_cast<WICDecodeOptions>(metadataOptions), &spDecoder);
at PaintDotNet.Interop.InteropErrorInfo.ThrowIfError() in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Interop\InteropErrorInfo.cs:line 98
at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.NativeUtilities.ThrowOnErrorImpl(Int32 hr, SByte* szHr, IUnknown* pFxErrorInfo) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\NativeUtilities.cpp:line 70
at PaintDotNet.SystemLayer.Native.x64.Imaging.WICImagingFactory.CreateDecoderFromStream(Stream stream, BitmapDecodeOptions metadataOptions, Nullable`1 containerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor) in D:\src\pdn\src\SystemLayer.Native\Imaging\WICImagingFactory.cpp:line 906
at PaintDotNet.Data.WicFileTypeHelpers.Load(Stream input, Nullable`1 forcedContainerFormat, Nullable`1 preferredVendor, MetadataTranscoder metadataTranscoder) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\WicFileTypeHelpers.cs:line 61
at PaintDotNet.Data.JpegFileType.OnLoad(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\PaintDotNet\Data\JpegFileType.cs:line 104
at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 512
at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

I am having the exact same issue with MP4 files. They play fine on my Galaxy phone but will not play on my Windows 10 Laptop.:oops::oops::oops:

If you have VLC media player that might open it (both ? corrupt jpg and mp4 files). Worth a try. It is quite good at opening media which Windows stuff doesn't like. Good luck

Click Start

Goto PC Settings

System

Default Apps

In the "Photo viewer" section click on the "+" and select "Photos".

Back