Windows Vista Cannot open Programs and Features and Pc Hanging....

bangbang

The PC on occasions hang
&
When i open in Programs and Features the explorer.exe application crashes.........

Any idea guys what's going on..........

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: explorer.exe
Application Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Application Timestamp: 4a5bc9bb
Fault Module Name: ole32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7600.16385
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a5be01a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000000000125a6e
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: fadc
Additional Information 2: fadc16a2916b5c8500f678294294fcb8
Additional Information 3: ad9e
Additional Information 4: ad9ef4808a93d662793213068c44b6ef

Hey man....

I tried checking my pc for such errors... no errors.... i even formatted my pc 2 times.......

there is usually a lag for 1-2 min this usually happens when i`m playing a movie.....

Selective Start-Up

Try running sfc/scannow and see if that turns up anything.

You could do a selective start-up without loading start-up items and disabling anti virus and other security programs. This would tell us if you have a software conflict. .

You might try Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts This was originally for IE 7, but I noticed they handle IE 8 as well. (I use IE 8 and they didn't turn me down)

This also may help: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/44681.aspx (What to do when Windows Explorer 8 hangs)

Last edited:
Hi Bang,bang.

What type of system do you have? Also are the drivers up to date?

it is an x64 system....

2gb ram, dual core, and drivers are upto date as per the windows updation system.......... i never used the motherboard DvD to update ..... it updates on it`s own....

That could be where the problem lies... WU isn't infallible and if you could give me your system run down I could point you in the direction of the drivers..

Also, did you 'upgrade' or do a fresh install?

Great! I'll be around a little later too so I'll have a look..:D

Ok..no problem, your graphics is a little old thats all but the above driver should be fine..

Remember to un-install the original ones first..

Aah.... my new Graphicx card got 0wned..... So i took out my old G.C. to work till my this card gets replaced.....

My Graphicx Card : Radeon 4850

LOl.....now thats different! :D Also Bang,bang do you know if your present bios is up to date? If you've had the board for two years and never flashed it yourself I'm guessing that it could be old...

In fact looking at that report it says it's 2007 vintage.. The latest updates are here: Link Removed - Invalid URL

Please read the instructions before attempting this procedure..

Oh and the latest graphic drivers can be found through here: http://windows7forums.com/windows-vista-multimedia/11365-graphic-drivers-10.html

Last edited:
I did a system format and now Same problem and arisen again..... Did all what I did last time but no go....

Kindly help....

Uploading the Sfc/Scannow file log......
Link Removed due to 404 Error

And yes just FYI I never upgraded the motherboard drivers .... I'm not comfortable doing those.... IS there any medium taht i start the process in the Windows 7 OS and then it may restart and do everything by itself.... ?

Full instructions on how to update the bios is here:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Back