bobofgold

Hi All,

Setup as follows:

Thomson Speedtouch 585 on 192.168.1.254
PC w/ Windows 7 wired on .72
Laptop w/ Windows 7 wireless on .66
Xbox 360 wired on .64
iPhone wireless on .68

Internet works fine on all devices. Have got the 360 set up using the PC as Media Center which is working fine and streaming content from the PC no problem. What I cannot do is browse the computers shared folders from outside the Media Center.

The laptop and the PC also don't appear to be able to communicate with each other. Shares don't get picked up and they cannot ping each other. In fact I cannot ping any node on the network from any other node. All nodes can ping the router no problem. I have disabled windows firewall on all devices and have even disabled the outward facing firewall on the router to no avail. I have tried resetting both the winsock entries and the tcp/ip stack as well but this did not work either. Both the PC and the Laptop have AVG free installed.

I have a feeling the problem may lie with the router as it is new and I have not had this problem in the past but I want to exhaust all other options before I shell out for a new one. Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Try removing AVG
go here
Free Antivirus | Forum - AVG 2011 + 9.0+8.x Uninstall / Re-Install Instructions
use the link to the uninstaller as well as the directions for removing left over folders when uninstall is complete.
Do not re-install
Reboot, see if the networking between the laptop and PC improves. Consider Link Removed due to 404 Error as a possible replacement product if needed.
On both machines enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the properties of IPv4, under the WINS tab, within the properties of your network interface card.
On both machines check services
type services.msc into the search box and hit enter
confirm that the following services are started, consider setting the startup type to automatic
Computer Browser
Function Discovery Provider Host
Function Discovery Resource Publication
Network Connections
Network List Service
Network Location Awareness
Network Store Interface Service
Server
SSDP Discovery
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

Hi Trouble,

Thanks for the response. I'm at work at the moment so will try these points when I get home in a couple of hours.

Some thoughts though. I've certainly had networking running fine and dandy with AVG before and a windows issue wouldn't explain why I am unable to ping my Xbox from my iPhone would it?

I've not used a Thomson router before (it came with my business broadband subscription) but the web UI seems very slow and is, generally, unintuitive. Has anyone else used/had issues with these before?

Some thoughts though. I've certainly had networking running fine and dandy with AVG before and a windows issue wouldn't explain why I am unable to ping my Xbox from my iPhone would it?
Good point and no it wouldn't. But in cross platform environments my focus would be on issues that involve Microsoft's Operating Systems, since I don't know what the default behavior is regarding an Xbox and ICMP echo packets.
Although I'm not convinced that AVG is the culprit, we have seen many examples of AVG (often the paid for version) producing some unusual network issues and often a robust uninstall, incorporating their proprietary uninstaller will help expose potential problems and at least move the diagnostic process along. You of course can always re-install it later if it proves to be a non-issue.
I've not used a Thomson router before (it came with my business broadband subscription) but the web UI seems very slow and is, generally, unintuitive. Has anyone else used/had issues with these before?
I have no personal experience with Thomson's router offerings but after reviewing the user manual on line it seems to be pretty straight forward, and while I can't seem to see anything that would be causing your ping issue I suppose that a call to the vendor (your ISP?) may provide some insight as to any preloaded and perhaps hidden firewall rules, or intrusion detection application that may be producing your issue.

Back