Windows 7 Cannot Update Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

paygiant

Win 7 update will not download any updates, it just hangs. I have searched online for solutions and tried them all to no avail. Anyone know what could be wrong?

You might try running the troubleshooter. Control Panel-Troubleshooting, look at bottom of page for System and Security and click the Windows Update troubleshooter.

Your response makes it hard to determine which way to go for an answer. But try this link if you have not already.

Also check the Event Viewer and if you have any logs for your firewall or anti-virus.

1. Configure Windows Update Settings and reboot.

2. If the problem persists, open regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\windows\Windows Update > if exists, the DWORD NoAutoUpdate value should be set 0.

3. Also, please see this link again, clear the browser's cache and history and clear the contents of the WindowsUpdate folder:

Saltgrass said:
Your response makes it hard to determine which way to go for an answer. But try this link if you have not already.

Also check the Event Viewer and if you have any logs for your firewall or anti-virus.

If you're using a firewall, you may want to temporarily disable it. If still no luck, what does your event viewer report?

Ok, done all the above things and still cannot get updates. I did noticed tho, when I click the update link, the router lights do not blink, so its not connecting. Event viewer doesnt show any errors or warnings. Also, when I first access this forum, I get redirected to Link Removed - Invalid URL.

Ok, done all the above things and still cannot get updates. I did noticed tho, when I click the update link, the router lights do not blink, so its not connecting. Event viewer doesnt show any errors or warnings. Also, when I first access this forum, I get redirected to Link Removed - Invalid URL.

when I click the update link, the router lights do not blink, so its not connecting

So could this be a connection issue? Open up command prompt and type netsh winhttp reset proxy to reset WinHTTP proxy setting to connect directly without a proxy. See if this helps.

As for VideoCOP, was this a banner you accidentally clicked, or were you literally redirected there before you got to windows7forums? I see nothing similar to reproduce.

I cant even download the update troubleshooter! It seems to think that microsoft.com is a restricted site. How would I check for that?

So you ran the update troubleshooter in Control Panel and it gave you a message about Microsoft being a restricted site? If it did show that, open IE and look in the Internet Options Security, highlight Restricted sites and click on the Sites button.

If the VideoCOP redirect was not a one time event, you may have some type of adware or malware on your system.

Can you just go to the microsoft.com site?

I am having the same problem. I have followed all the suggestions on this forum and other. I have ran multiple antivirus programs and antispyware programs to no avail. I navigated to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\windows\Windows Update > but WindowsUpdate does not exist. Could this be my problem?

1. Configure Windows Update Settings and reboot.

2. If the problem persists, open regedit > navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\windows\Windows Update > if exists, the DWORD NoAutoUpdate value should be set 0.

3. Also, please see this link again, clear the browser's cache and history and clear the contents of the WindowsUpdate folder:

If you're using a firewall, you may want to temporarily disable it. If still no luck, what does your event viewer report?

Back
Top Bottom