Windows 7 Can't add icons to quick launch toolbar

Doug

I added the Quick Launch tool bar to my desktop machine and I can add icons by dragging them to it.

Added Quick Launch tool bar to my laptop and CAN’T add icons by dragging, or adding to Quick Launch using Windows Explorer. Do you have any idea why? Below are details of the 2 machines

Desktop: Dell studio XPS built July 2010, Win7 Pro 64 bit, Build 7600
Came with Win7 installed

Laptop: Dell Vostro 1720 built December 2009, Win7 Pro 32 bit, Build 7600
Came with XP pro installed and upgraded to Win7 recently

Was the laptop a clean install? As far as I'm aware you can't upgrade XP to 7. If XP was overwritten with 7 their could be a conflict with your Quick Launch folder (Different Folder Paths).

I'm pretty sure there is no upgrade from XP to Windows 7. The new one from Dell may have been tweaked.
Joe

Here is one way Link Removed - Invalid URL There is another way but I can't find the link now.
Joe

Elmer,

I had 2 choices when I upgraded from XP to Win 7. Chose the one that offered to overwrite XP as I knew that a clean install would be best, but when the dust settled, it appeared that I got an upgrade, not a complete install. Perhaps I can format the disk and then do a clean install. Will have to check with Dell to see if the disk I have will do a new install.

I suspected that my problem is connected to the XP to Win7 upgrade.

Is there a way to point to the correct Quick Launch folder?

thanks for your help,
Doug

Joe,

I had 2 choices when I upgraded from XP to Win 7. Chose the one that offered to overwrite XP as I knew that a clean install would be best, but when the dust settled, it appeared that I got an upgrade, not a complete install. Perhaps I can format the disk and then do a clean install. Will have to check with Dell to see if the disk I have will do a new install.

Thanks for your reply,
Doug

Elmer,

I suspected that my problem is connected to the XP to Win7 upgrade.

Is there a way to point to the correct Quick Launch folder?

thanks for your help,
Doug

It would be far better to do a brand new, clean, washed behind the ears install of Seven. You can do a clean install of Seven by wiping out Vista for example, even if you bought the "upgrade from Vista to Seven" disc**. But just when you want a link I can't find one!! **That would be the Windows upgrade disc, in case there's a difference.

Your Quick Launch folder should be here:- C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch. I'm thinking if you find one anywhere else to copy to a safe place and then delete, if it lets you, and then see what happens. I'm going to see if I can (easily) find anything in the registry for you. But you realise/know I'm assuming that the Quick Launch isn't a native of Windows Seven.

OK, found the very concise Link Removed - Invalid URL for the clean install with upgrade media.

Last edited:
Found another Quick Launch folder, deleted Quick Launch toolbar, created new toolbar, pointing to the correct location. Works as it should.

I will look at doing a complete format and install if more problems show up.

Thanks for the help
Doug

Back