Windows 8 Can't burn DVD's

pstudt

Lenovo Y580 with a blu-ray reader/dvd burner. Running Windows 8.1. Read DVD's fine just doesn't want to burn them. I can't add data to a dvd, backup a movie, format a dvd. When trying to format a dvd I get the error, after the drive runs for awhile, "Cannot complete format". Thanks.

Every thing I can find for you generic Lenovo model number given just says that the Y580 has a DVD+/- RW drive. Nothing about a blu-ray being supported.

On the bottom of the laptop, it should give the exact model number which should have some numbers/letters after the Y580.

Is this laptop still under warranty, if so I'd take it back for a troubleshoot or replacement.

The only other thing besides the y580 is the model # 20132. The blu-ray combo was an option. It is under warranty but the hardware warranty dept said this is a software issue and transferred to the software dept which gets $60 for helping me fix this.

Once in a while the dvd burner works, but very sporadically. No apparent reason.

I did a re-install of the operating system, etc, thinking that may fix it, but it did not.

Thanks for your reply.

This is my optical drive: MATSHITA BD-MLT UJ260

I'm not seeing a driver for it.

Thanks.

Hi

Have you tried using some other software like imgburn to see if you can write to the drive?
The fact that it's intermittent make is sound more like a hardware issue, usually with drivers either it works or it doesn't.

http://imgburn-download.com/?gclid=CKnrnOKxob0CFexcMgodfnQApQ

Try installing ImgBurn (it's free) and will do pretty much anything you would need, and see if it works, if you haven't already tried software other than Windows.

I like using it better then Windows anyway, just have a link on your taskbar, but if it doesn't work maybe that would indicate something, or give some kind of message about why it won't work, i.e. drivers etc.

You could also uninstall your DVD drive in Device Manager and reboot, Windows should install the correct drivers for it automatically.

Drivers for things like Mice, Keyboards and DVD drives it pretty basic, you shouldn't have to install anything on your own to get them to work.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike. I'll try removing and re installing the drive and then ImgBurn if that doesn't work.

By the way, the firmware update from Trouble Noob Whisperer was a great suggestion, but it only works on Sony machines.

But thank you both for your knowledgeable suggestions. It's appreciated.

Hi

I'm pretty sure that the printer drivers need to be on your bootable Linux disk.
I don't think it will pick up the drivers from the Windows installation.

I have no idea how you do that but it would have to be done in the process of making the disk.
You could probably get that information on a Linux forum unless someone else here know that and posts.

Check this out and see if it applies to your situation.
All the stuff I see about drivers is about drivers for Linux installed on Hard Drives whitch means that they can be changed from inside one they are running.

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/downloads.html

I use Ubuntu from a disk but I've never tried printing from it, I'll have to check and see if I can.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom