Windows 7 Can't change taskbar

Spinal Tap

I've been having an issue when trying to change the taskbar colour. I've recently bought Windows 7 Home Premium, and when I got to change my taskbar colour (as right now it is a solid-blue colour) by clicking the Windows Color button in my control panel, this comes up

WHATTHE.png

This confuses me, because I've seen pictures of what that SHOULD look like online (where there's different coloured squares) and I've not been able to reach that window. I also can't adjust my transparency. I doubt it's hardware related; my computer is only 3 years old and, at the time, was top of the line.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Hi Spinal,
the reason why your not seeing the 'Aero' portion of the GUI could be down to a number of reasons.
1. If your running Windows basic (which your not)
2. Your graphic solution is simply just not up to the job.
3. You need to install your graphic drivers.

So with the above in mind could you please list your laptop make and model as well as installing the latest graphic driver. If your not sure where to find the driver you could try either Windows update or the lappie makers website.

I believe when you change your title bars to gradient colors,you lose the Aero effects.

Go to Start Search programs and folders and type in fix problems.

Select fix problems with transparency and visual effects.

This will start the Aero trouble-shooter to see if you card can handle Aero.

If not do as Kemical says and yes,your specifications would be helpful.

I see a black screen underneath there. Is that an aero theme?
You could also look in the Syste - Advanced system settings - Visual effects - Advanced - performance, and see if you have 1. Enable Aero Peek.and 2. Enable tarnsparent Glass selected.

That's the desktop color RAK.

I still believe if you make alot of changes under the Appearance section, Windows automatically reverts to the Windows Basic theme.

Same as what happens when you goto Performance Information and tools and click the Advanced Tools link,and choose adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. If you choose adjust for Best performance ,you loose the Aero effects.

It will uncheck Enable Transparent Glass

I believe when you change your title bars to gradient colors,you lose the Aero effects.

Go to Start Search programs and folders and type in fix problems.

Select fix problems with transparency and visual effects.

This will start the Aero trouble-shooter to see if you card can handle Aero.

If not do as Kemical says and yes,your specifications would be helpful.

Troubleshooting did it! I apparently has Windows Desktop Manager deactivated somehow, hah.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Back