Windows 7 Can't connect internet, Unidentified Network

raiden1701

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
ACER Aspire X3400
Nvidia Nforce 10/100/1000 ethernet
Cable internet
SB1502 Cable modem

When I try to connect to the internet, it just says "identifying" then says it is an "unidentified network". I've tried:

Resetting the modem
Checked all cables
Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers
Disabled & enabled the drivers
It's set to automatically connect to DNS
Updating the ethernet with the latest from Microsoft
Ran ipconfig /release and renew
Tried another modem and new cables
Tried other houses with DSL & Cable internet

I installed a USB wireless device which worked when I tested it in wireless areas. But so far nothing has worked for the wired part. At one point before all this started, the internet worked intermittently and would work at other houses perfectly. So I assumed it was my modem or connection at my house. But then I plugged another PC into my modem and it worked instantly. So I know there is no physical problem with my connection, modem or cables.

Have "Default Gateway" properly configured or automatic. DNS doesnt affect "unidentified network".

You can also reset winsock and resetlog. In cmd (with administrator rights) write

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Verify the correct gateway with

ipconfig /all

Default Gateway doesn't have any IP numbers or anything at all after it. I don't know how to configure it to automatic.

I did:

netsh winsock reset catalog
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Restart:

ipconfig /all

The Default Gateway is blank.

without a default gateway you're basically out of luck.
What about the other IPv4 results of the ipconfig /all
are they something like
169.254.nnn.nnn?
If so then you are not likely communicating at all with the network's DHCP server.
Trying changing the speed and duplex of the network card and see if that helps at all.
type
ncpa.cpl
into the search or run dialog box and hit enter
select then right click your network adapter and choose properties (usually says something like "Local Area Connection" may have a number after it)
then near the top of the resultant dialog box click the button that says "Configure..."
select the Advance tab and look for something called
Link Speed / Duplex Mode in the left "Property:" column and select it. Then
In the right "Value:" column select the drop down arrow and choose 10Mbps / Half Duplex
OK your way back out of there and reboot.
See if that changes your ability to connect to the internet.
Keep us posted

OK, sorry that didn't work but let's leave it at 10Mbps/Half Duplex for now and try adding the MAC address as well.
First open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /all
examine the results and look for your Nvidia NForce 10/100/1000 adapter's "Physical Address" make sure you are looking at the correct information as there maybe multiple adapters displayed.
write it down or copy and paste it into notepad
remove the dashes/hyphens (-) so that only the actual 12 characters remain, then
go back into the same place as before and
in the left column titled "Property:" select "Network Address"
in the right column titled "Value:" change the radio button from "Not Present" to the other button which will allow you to type or paste the 12 character (hex value) into the box.
While there double check the Link Speed and Duplex Value and make sure that your original change to 10Mbps / Half Duplex is still set and persisted through the reboot.
Reboot the machine again.
Keep us posted.

when you open a command prompt and type
ipconfig /release
and then
ipconfig /renew
what exactly is the message that you are seeing regarding your ability to connect to a DHCP server.

I can't get any results. Here's why:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Chelsea Ann>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

C:\Users\Chelsea Ann>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

C:\Users\Chelsea Ann>

type
ncpa.cpl
select then right click the problem connection/adapter and make sure that if is disabled you enable it.
Right click it again and choose properties
In the resultant dialog box uncheck IPv6
select IPv4 and click the properties button
make sure both radio buttons in both upper and lower frames of that dialog box are set to "Obtain automatically"
OK your way back out of there
type
services.msc
scroll as needed and locate both
DHCP client service
and
DNS client service
double click and set the startup type to automatic and click the start button.
Rebooting might help.

I did that and it still doesn't work. Is it a DHCP problem? DHCP is enabled though and IPv4 has nothing beside it under "Network Connection Details". Neither does DNS server.

Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium
ACER Aspire X3400
Nvidia Nforce 10/100/1000 ethernet
Cable internet
SB1502 Cable modem

When I try to connect to the internet, it just says "identifying" then says it is an "unidentified network". I've tried:

Resetting the modem
Checked all cables
Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers
Disabled & enabled the drivers
It's set to automatically connect to DNS
Updating the ethernet with the latest from Microsoft
Ran ipconfig /release and renew
Tried another modem and new cables
Tried other houses with DSL & Cable internet

I installed a USB wireless device which worked when I tested it in wireless areas. But so far nothing has worked for the wired part. At one point before all this started, the internet worked intermittently and would work at other houses perfectly. So I assumed it was my modem or connection at my house. But then I plugged another PC into my modem and it worked instantly. So I know there is no physical problem with my connection, modem or cables.
Just re-reading your posts trying to determine what the issue might be and noticed the above quoted comment. Yes it does seem to be a DHCP issue, but I suspect that the underlying problem is with the current driver so I've the correct driver Link Removed due to 404 Error. So...
download it to a folder of your choice and extract the zip file contents to that folder.
Open device manager, expand network adapter, right click the nvidia nforce 10/100/1000 adapter and choose update driver software, then browse my computer, then let me pick,
then have disk, then the browse button and locate the folder where you extracted the file mentioned above. Double click the nvfd6264.inf and complete the driver installation. Reboot the computer and see if that helps with your problem. If you have any problems getting the file from my skydrive let me know and I'll try to get it to you through other means.
Keep us posted.

I uninstalled my network driver completely the restarted (restarted modem too), then installed your driver and it's still not working. Is it possible that the LAN part of the PC is physically damaged?

That is definitely one possibility. Have you contacted the manufacturer to see if they have some experience with this particular issue (like a bios update or a bios setting that needs to be adjusted for Win7) I suppose they will just tell you to return it to it's default factory condition using their restore utility before they will offer much help? Is it still under warranty?

I'm going to give up now and see if warrenty will fix this. If not then I'm buying a wireless router and USB wireless dongle.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom