Windows 7 Cant connect online!

MrF430

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for their help.

Getting down to the problem. I have been using Windows 7 beta since the public launch from build 7000 to my current 7077 x64 with no problems what so ever. About 2 weeks ago (while running build 7077) my motherboard decided to crap out on me and I had to send it in to Intel for replacement. I received my new MB and installed all my hardware, did a complete format of my HDD and installed a fresh copy of build 7077 x64.

Through the setup process, I chose the Home Network option as I have always done in the past. However I can across two problems.

Problem 1. Windows is saying that my copy is not genuine, however, I am using the key provided to me by MS! So I try to validate online, which brings me to my second problem.

Problem 2. I am unable to connect to the internet! I have tried everything I can possibly think of! The Network and Sharing center lists my network as a public network. I try to change it, but it doesnt allow me to! I have tried to troubleshoot the device and connection, I do get an error which says: The network adapter doesn't have a valid ip configuration, or, no errors could be found! I am trying to connect via ethernet cable, I have also tried using this cable to connect to the internet via my other comp using build 7077 x64 and it connects fine.

Now to the hardware I am using:

My motherboard is an Intel DX48BT2 board with an Intel 82566SC-2 Gigabit network adapter. My cable modem is connected to my ZyXel x550 and I have the ethernet cable running to my comp. The wireless router is used for my other computers throughout the house. The computer I am typing on is connected via wireless connection and is running build 7077 x64 as well. This computer shows its network as Home.

I hope I have provided adequate information to paint a clear picture, please let me know if any additional information is required. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

MrF430

Hello everyone. This is my first post and I just wanted to say hello and thank everyone in advance for their help.

Getting down to the problem. I have been using Windows 7 beta since the public launch from build 7000 to my current 7077 x64 with no problems what so ever. About 2 weeks ago (while running build 7077) my motherboard decided to crap out on me and I had to send it in to Intel for replacement. I received my new MB and installed all my hardware, did a complete format of my HDD and installed a fresh copy of build 7077 x64.

Through the setup process, I chose the Home Network option as I have always done in the past. However I can across two problems.

Problem 1. Windows is saying that my copy is not genuine, however, I am using the key provided to me by MS! So I try to validate online, which brings me to my second problem.

Problem 2. I am unable to connect to the internet! I have tried everything I can possibly think of! The Network and Sharing center lists my network as a public network. I try to change it, but it doesnt allow me to! I have tried to troubleshoot the device and connection, I do get an error which says: The network adapter doesn't have a valid ip configuration, or, no errors could be found! I am trying to connect via ethernet cable, I have also tried using this cable to connect to the internet via my other comp using build 7077 x64 and it connects fine.

Now to the hardware I am using:

My motherboard is an Intel DX48BT2 board with an Intel 82566SC-2 Gigabit network adapter. My cable modem is connected to my ZyXel x550 and I have the ethernet cable running to my comp. The wireless router is used for my other computers throughout the house. The computer I am typing on is connected via wireless connection and is running build 7077 x64 as well. This computer shows its network as Home.

I hope I have provided adequate information to paint a clear picture, please let me know if any additional information is required. Thank you all in advance for any help you can provide.

MrF430

Have you tried shutting down the modem and restarting it ?

Yes Ive done that maybe a good 15 times to both the modem and router..

I am stumped this way but there are some good people on this forum I feel sure will do all they can to help you .
Sorry could not do more :(

Its cool, thanks for your help anyway!:)
Hi
I just came and saw your post . Let me see if I can be of help to you.

If resetting the Modem and Router by powering them off and then turning them On sequentially after Modem has fully established a steady Green LEDs on PWR , Cbl/DSL and the Internet, as suggeste by Whoosh has not worked, and you have verified the Ethernet cable to the Win 7 PC is securely seated and Link light is blinking, then you need to verify the Device Mangager for error symbols (! or?)against your Intel network adapter .

• Even if that has no errors and its Properties show "The device is working properly", please Reinstallthe latest Vista 64 driver for the network adapter from the MoB CD or Download site which ever is the latest. You may have at times unzip the downloaded driver to get the X64.INF file for VISTA and Navigate from Device Manager to the folder containing that X64.INF file rather than using the SETUP.exe and the Wizard. Please make sure No interfering Antivirus or other programs during Driver install as an added precaution. Verify DM after install
  • Make sure your Win7's Workgroup Name is the same as the rest of your Netwworked PCs.
  • Next go to the Network and Sharing Center >Setup new Connection or network and use the wizard to create Broadband Internet Connection.
  • Open an Elevated Command Prompt andrun IPCONFIG /ALL command
Verify that the DHCP is Enabled,
IPv4 Address ..........................:192.168.x.xx range
Subnet mask.............................:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.......................: 192.168.n.1
DHCP Server.............................:192.168.n.1

If all look like above

• Try to Ping a well known IP address ( say Googles) by > Ping 74.125.95.104.
  • If everything is good, you will see Packets sent=4; Received=4 Lost=0
  • Try Pinging the URL: >Ping www.google.com You should get the same packet info as above
  1. Close Command Prompt
  2. Now launch IE>To the Internet
  3. Activate your Win7 thru' System Properties ( just close to where you went to click for Change Settings: Workgroup name)
If youn need help, please post back.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Hi
I just came and saw your post . Let me see if I can be of help to you.

If resetting the Modem and Router by powering them off and then turning them On sequentially after Modem has fully established a steady Green LEDs on PWR , Cbl/DSL and the Internet, as suggeste by Whoosh has not worked, and you have verified the Ethernet cable to the Win 7 PC is securely seated and Link light is blinking, then you need to verify the Device Mangager for error symbols (! or?)against your Intel network adapter .

• Even if that has no errors and its Properties show \"The device is working properly\", please Reinstallthe latest Vista 64 driver for the network adapter from the MoB CD or Download site which ever is the latest. You may have at times unzip the downloaded driver to get the X64.INF file for VISTA and Navigate from Device Manager to the folder containing that X64.INF file rather than using the SETUP.exe and the Wizard. Please make sure No interfering Antivirus or other programs during Driver install as an added precaution. Verify DM after install
  • Make sure your Win7's Workgroup Name is the same as the rest of your Netwworked PCs.
  • Next go to the Network and Sharing Center >Setup new Connection or network and use the wizard to create Broadband Internet Connection.
  • Open an Elevated Command Prompt andrun IPCONFIG /ALL command
Verify that the DHCP is Enabled,
IPv4 Address ..........................:192.168.x.xx range
Subnet mask.............................:255.255.255.0
Default Gateway.......................: 192.168.n.1
DHCP Server.............................:192.168.n.1

If all look like above

• Try to Ping a well known IP address ( say Googles) by > Ping 74.125.95.104.
  • If everything is good, you will see Packets sent=4; Received=4 Lost=0
  • Try Pinging the URL: >Ping www.google.com You should get the same packet info as above
  1. Close Command Prompt
  2. Now launch IE>To the Internet
  3. Activate your Win7 thru' System Properties ( just close to where you went to click for Change Settings: Workgroup name)
If youn need help, please post back.
Good luck.

Wow, thank you so much for your help! I tried everything you mentioned here, but it didnt solve my problem. :mad:

So, I got mad, and decided that maybe its because of win 7! So I formatted my drive and installed Vista ult 64. Same problem!!!

So now, I know it has nothing to do with my OS. I ruled out hardware since it works fine with my other comps. I was at the end of my rope with this when I decided to check my router configuration site. I took a look at the logs and noticed there were multiple blocked transmissions to a certain mac address! BINGO!

Since this was my first time switching out my MotherBoard I didnt realise that security features of my router would block communication to the new mac addr! Im such a klutz!

So, I added my new addr to the list and here I am today, online again with 7! yay!

Thanks again to everyone for their help!:redface:

Back