Windows 7 can't copy / backup to / or encrypt partitions on external hard drives

croatianchemist

Hi!

First I would kindly ask forum admins to transfer my topic to more suitable subfolder, I really don't know here to post my problem. Thanks.

Now to the problem. I have Asus N55SF laptop, with Windows 7 SP1 64 bit. Also, I have 2 external hard drives. One with USB 3.0, and one USB 2.0. Following problems, I am going to describe below, happen to the both of them. Just to mention, external drives are tested on desktop computer and following problems do not happen.

Let me now describe what happens when I try certain actions:
- When I try to copy large files (10 or more GB) I get an error that destination is no longer visible. External drives disappear from My Computer and I can't do safe remove. But when I copy files using programs FastCopy or TeraCopy everything copies well and drives do not disappear.
- When I try to do Windows Backup and encrypt them using BitLocker drives also disappear, and are not visible within OS.
- There is a difference between external hard with USB 3.0 port and the one with 2.0 port:
--- when one with 3.0 disappears after described actions I can't see it from Device Manager, I can see it only after windows reboot. USB 3.0 disk connects to one USB 3.0 port on laptop.
--- when one with 2.0 port disappears I can see it from Device Manager, and I only have to unplug it, and plug it in again to see it. USB 2.0 disk connects to 2 USB 2.0 ports on laptop.

Common to both disks is that when then disappear from My computer the diode on the external disk cases are still flashing, what probably means that they have some power. Both disk are formated to NTFS, and Allocation unit size is set to: Default. Their removal policy is set to: Better performance (default). On laptop I only have Windows, Office and Asus drivers. Antivirus is: MSE.

Thanks for replies

Check Device Manger for the power management settings on your USB root hubs. See attachment.
Also some laptop manufacturers have their own Power Management Utility. You may want to double check there (as well as the Windows 7 Power Management) to see if there is anything there specific to your USB ports and devices.

Check Device Manger for the power management settings on your USB root hubs. See attachment.
Also some laptop manufacturers have their own Power Management Utility. You may want to double check there (as well as the Windows 7 Power Management) to see if there is anything there specific to your USB ports and devices.

I have disabled suspend option in Windows power management, and unchecked the option you told me to, it was checked only on 1 usb root hub. My lap does not have it's on power management.

Sadly did not help...still same problem.

Just to mention, when disks disappear, the power led is flashing, meaning they do have power from laptop.

Are both these drives solely USB powered or do either or both have external power sources.
Do they have any type of proprietary cables? If so do the cables need to have a driver installed.
Is the firmware on either or both of these drives current / most recent, from the drive manufacturer or enclosure manufacturer.
There is an extensive thread regarding similar issues here Link Removed - Invalid URL, it's about five pages and on the latter pages there are some interesting comments regarding what others have tried to resolve the problem.

Are both these drives solely USB powered or do either or both have external power sources.
Do they have any type of proprietary cables? If so do the cables need to have a driver installed.
Is the firmware on either or both of these drives current / most recent, from the drive manufacturer or enclosure manufacturer.
There is an extensive thread regarding similar issues here Link Removed - Invalid URL, it's about five pages and on the latter pages there are some interesting comments regarding what others have tried to resolve the problem.

well, the drives are solely USB powered. The drive with USB 3.0 has properatery cable. there are no drivers on manufacturer web site, only software for one-click backup to that drive, but I don't need that option. I did not update firmwire for drives and external cases. the thing is that drives work normmally on my desktop, with same OS. I will look the thread you gave me link for. thanksfor all the help

If the drive works normally on your desktop but not on your laptop and the drives are solely USB powered then it is likely a USB port power issue which can be difficult if not impossible to resolve.
Does it seem to make a difference if your laptop is powered or on battery?
Does it seem to make a difference if you completely turn of your laptop cold. Then plug (just one) the drive in and start your laptop with the drive already plugged into it. Back in the day I know that as USB ports were enumerated power was allocated during the process based on what the port seemed to need. Just a guess and worth a try.

Maybe I did not mention this, but I can normaly copy smaller files...up to few GB...I have problem with large files, windows backup and encryption with bitlocker.

the power profile on laptop is set to High performance, and the problems occur when laptop is powerd and when on battery. it does not make a difference if I turn my laptop cold. the drives are not pluged in at once, only one at the time. what I have mentioned on my first post is that I can normally copy large files using teracopy of fast copy ... but not using windows copy, then drives disappear. so I think it is Windows problem, not power of hardware one.

the thing is that drives work normmally on my desktop, with same OS.
One of these statements would seem to contradict the other.
so I think it is Windows problem, not power of hardware one.

Or would indicate that there is something (process, service, third party application) present on your laptop that is not present on your desktop.
So maybe try booting your laptop into safemode and see if the problem persists. If not then it is likely something running at startup that is causing the issue.

EDIT: As an aside, personally I prefer using TeraCopy for such tasks as it seems to be much more robust than the built it copy utility anyway. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
I have remembered now...that on laptop I have 7 ultimate, and on dekstp 7 Pro. I did not install all Asus utilities avaliable, only drivers and necesarry software so I can fully use my laptop. I did try safe mode, still happens. I am very confused. Can try to reinstall 7, but I would like to avoid that. very stupid issue :)

update: i also like teracopy, I dont miss windows copy...but still would like to resolve this

Back
Top Bottom