Windows 7 Can't Delete Some Fies that start with a ~

rayc325

Hi,
I have a bunch of files that start with a ~ symbol and are all 1kb in size. I can't delete, move or rename them. I get a message saying they can't be found. I tried unlocker but it doesn't help. Any ideas? Thanks

Are they .doc files? Those are temporary files created by Word. The solution is, of course, to close Word. If some are still leftover after closing Word, you should at least be able to delete them once that they're no longer in use.

There are other programs that use tildes to indicate temporary files, but it's not altogether that common. If the files are temporary files for another program, and you find that you can't delete them even after you close the program, you might have a better chance doing it if you restart your computer and then delete them before starting up the program.

Last edited:
Are they .doc files? Those are temporary files created by Word. The solution is, of course, to close Word. If some are still leftover after closing Word, you should at least be able to delete them once that they're no longer in use.

There are other programs that use tildes to indicate temporary files, but it's not altogether that common. If the files are temporary files for another program, and you find that you can't delete them even after you close the program, you might have a better chance doing it if you restart your computer and then delete them before starting up the program.

Thanks. They are word docs but the problem is there are no programs open, I go in as soon as I startup. When I try to delete them or rename them the error says the file is not found. I guess I could try booting in safe mode and then see?

That's interesting to hear. I have no trouble renaming/deleting leftover ~$.doc files on my machine, even if I log in to a non-administrative account.

It sounds to me like the reason they can't be found is probably related to whatever specific turn of events caused them being left behind in the first place. I still don't have a solution, but here's some more questions to help narrow it down.

Are the files in a networked (shared) folder?

Are there any ~$.doc files that you can rename? (check both old and recent ones, and those in other folders as well)

Does the File not found error also happen if you open a ~$.doc file in Notepad?

What about if you copy one of the files and paste it elsewhere? Does it let you paste, and if so, can you modify the new file?

Last edited:
That's interesting to hear. I have no trouble renaming/deleting leftover ~$.doc files on my machine, even if I log in to a non-administrative account.

It sounds to me like the reason they can't be found is probably related to whatever specific turn of events caused them being left behind in the first place. I still don't have a solution, but here's some more questions to help narrow it down.

Are the files in a networked (shared) folder?

Are there any ~$.doc files that you can rename? (check both old and recent ones, and those in other folders as well)

Does the File not found error also happen if you open a ~$.doc file in Notepad?

What about if you copy one of the files and paste it elsewhere? Does it let you paste, and if so, can you modify the new file?

To answer your questions..

Yes they are on a network/shared folder.

I can't move them, copy and paste or rename them at all..

Can't open them in notepad either.

I can see them but if I try to do anything at all with them Windows says they are not there. All are only 1kb in size.

Thanks for your help.

Ray

Have you tried rebooting or completely turning off the computer.

i don't see what the big dea ils unless you have hundreds of them.

you could use CCleaner CCleaner - Download choose options > Include and add that folder to the list to be emptied.

Back
Top Bottom