Windows 7 Can't find device when doing custom install

jacksongirl

Hi All,
I have a new Dell Precision T3400 which the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor says I can run the 64 bit version of Windows 7 on.
Unfortunately I am running XP pro 32 bit version on it.
Dell told me I would need to run my 64 bit disc by hitting F12 when rebooting to boot to the disk.
The computer then asks me if I want to run from my array or from a usb or cdrom.
I choose the cdrom and then is says it cannot start from that drive or some such error.
Dell and I did these things:
made sure the dvd was an option as a boot drive in Setup.
Updated the bios on the drive and the computer itself.
this did not work so they replaced the dvd drive.
It still will not boot the disk.
I tried my xp disk, and the computer WILL boot from it.
Dell said its the disk.
Any advice would be appreciated. I am stumped.
thanks,
Laura

It does sound like a disk problem. Do you have the upgrade version? If so did you try installing with the 32 bit disk?

Hi All,
Dell told me I would need to run my 64 bit disc by hitting F12 when rebooting to boot to the disk.
The computer then asks me if I want to run from my array or from a usb or cdrom.
OK, you may need to explain what "array" you are referring to.

Normally you have to set the DVD first in the Boot priority and during boot you get a "Boot from DVD" type message. The F12 key should do just about the same thing, if the DVD is bootable.

The array is actually a RAID type One (two drives that are mirrored)

When I tried the 32 bit disk I put in the disk, restarted, chose F12 when booting.
My options are, in order:
Onboard or USB CD ROM Drive
Intel Array
USB
I chose the first option and I got :
Selected Boot Device not available.

So it does not work with either the 32 bit OR the 64 bit!
It does work with the OS disk that came with the dell (I can boot from the XP disk they provided)

I am stumped.
Thanks for any ideas, I have been google-ing till the cows came home and have had no luck.
Laura

If it boots from the XP disc, it should also boot from the Win 7. Do you have another computer you could try it in? Even if it is not an x64 machine, it will still at least boot the DVD and give you an error later.

If it won't boot there either, the DVD is probably bad. Did you get it from Dell? Is it one of those with both the X64 and x86 versions on the same DVD?

Last edited:
I work for Habitat for Humanity and we received the disk thru a company called TechSoup (but it came from Microsoft)
there are 2 disks, a 32 and a 64 bit. they say:
Microsoft Windows 7 Pro
32 bitx86 Upgradee: Pre-existing OS License Required (Volume License Product Key Required)
(then I have a 64 bit disk too)
I tried the 32 bit on a Vostro we have in the office.
I used F12, then chose the cd rom option
Really quick it came up and said
CD-Rom Boot Volume then it booted into Windows, not sure if I was supposed to do anything there or not, there was a blinking cursor but it was pretty fast.

Gosh, I can't believe this is so hard!
:)
Laura

I tried the 32 bit on a Vostro we have in the office.
I used F12, then chose the cd rom option
Really quick it came up and said
CD-Rom Boot Volume then it booted into Windows, not sure if I was supposed to do anything there or not, there was a blinking cursor but it was pretty fast.
You need to elaborate on this statement. Did the system boot into the Win 7 install, or just leave you with a blinking cursor?

I don't know anything about the volume licensing system, but hopefully this isn't related to that.

I hit F12, it then asked me how I wanted to boot. I asked it to boot from the CDROM
The computer then when black, then it said on the black screen, at the top CD-Rom boot volume with a cursor.
It then IMMEDIATELY restarted into Windows XP
I did not get an option to type anything nor was I asked to.

It sounds like the DVD is bad. Maybe both are bad--whatever, your experience is not normal.

yea, it sounds bad doesn't it.
I have another one coming.
I will see if that one works and let you all know.
The 32 bit version actually comes up and says 'do you want to install windows' but it won't let me boot from it.
at least not the F12 way

After doing some more research, could it be that I ONLY have a dvd and not a cdrom? Could the DVD drive be on the wrong part of the cable (master vs. Slave?) and if so...which is which? (which part of the cable is master)
I am ready to go buy a secondary dvd player and try that!

I still think the DVD is bad. The only other thing I might suggest is to stop using the F12 key and go into the bios setup and set the DVD/CDRom first in the boot priority.

As far as your connections, did you set it up, are you using a PATA DVD?

Maybe the best thing for you do to is to try to set up a bootable flash drive to install from. There are many tutorials about how to do this.

Last edited:
Goodmorning Saltgrass,
I tried making the dvd the boot drive by putting it first in line, the computer just booted to the hard drive instead.
Incidentally, in the 'list' in the bios- it does not 'say' its a DVD it says USB or CDROM- it only says DVD in the description of the drive. Maybe I need a new driver or firmware?

Its a SATA DVD (it has the connectors that look like "L's" (to me!))

As far as the USB goes- I have looked at several directions and I was confused.
So I burn something to a USB flash stick drive that enables it to boot from the USB drive THEN the computer looks to the DVD for the actual
Windows files?

What if I had a copy of Vista? ( I think I have Vista Business on disk) would I be able to install that THEN go directly to 7? I'm sure the Vista is not 64 bit either.
thx, Laura

I haven't done the process of using another bootable install DVD, but I have seen someone mentioning booting to a Vista DVD then use the other one, but I can't say.

Does your system boot to the Vista DVD?

Do you have the capability of making a bootable ISO and burning it from the files on your current DVD? I suppose there is a chance the DVDs are not meant to be booted.

I went to work today and tried the 2 Vista disks I had. One booted and one didn't. They were BOTH brand new IN the envelope!
So what I ended up doing is installing Vista (an upgrade not custom) then installing windows 7 -32 bit (again, upgrade). (even tho I really WANTED 64 bit)
All went well, but it took all day.
I went to login to my account, about 10 seconds after my desktop showed up it went to a blue screen saying something about Drivers Mismanaging the PTES.
there was lots more but I could not read it fast enuf.
it then rebooted, now its stuck in this circle. I CAN boot it to safe mode but I have no idea what to do.
Thanks if you have any ideas.
The computer is a T3400 (Dell) , with a RAID setup (mirror)
new dvd drive. The computer is like 4 months old.
Thanks for all of your patience!

I don't know much about RAID stuff, except you probably need to install a driver. I thought your problem was the DVD would not read the DVDs, and it looks like it still is to some extent, but if you run a RAID, you probably need to add a driver using the F6 button during the install, but it should have asked for one.

I have never seen it before, but PTEs seems to mean Paged Table Entries (memory)----that is about all I know about it. Maybe Dell would know better.

This may all be tied together, perhaps a memory problem.

A clean install is always best, so whatever you can do.

Does the computer have any company security on it?

I would probably get a new hard drive and just try to install to that without the RAID. If things work normally that way you could address the RAID setup next. Or tell Dell you think you have a lemon and try to get a replacement. Watch out for them though, they will probably give you a refurbished one.

I think maybe its the RAID too....but it was funny as it did initially boot.
ugh...
I will call them on Monday. If not I may have to reinstall XP with the Disks that came with the computer. I guess Dell could walk me thru that.
What a waste.

Back