Windows 7 Win7 install freeze/starting windows screen

NRVOUS77

I just built my first computer. Specs are in my profile. I can get into BIOS and the motherboard's onboard OS. BIOS recognizes both my HDDs, both my optical drives, all of my RAM (3x2GB), my CPU, etc. I have the most current version of the BIOS.

I can not install Windows 7. I have tried 3 different Windows 7 DVDs (2 64 bit, 1 32 bit). I have tried each HDD separately, each DVD drive separately, each stick of RAM separately. No matter what I have tried, I get the same result:

With the Windows 7 boot disk in a DVD drive, I power on the computer. The computer goes to a screen that says "Windows is loading some files" with a white status bar along the bottom of the screen. The status bar fills up quickly once and then slowly a second time. Then, I get a screen that says "Starting Windows" and everything freezes. Fans on the computer still run, but it seems like everything else is not running.

I have no idea what to do from here. Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help. TIA

I purchase an OEM version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit from an online retailer. I also purchased a full version from Best Buy. Both are legit copies that are not installed on any other computers.

Yes, the boot order is ROM 1st. Everything seems to be plugged in fully and to the right places (as I said, I can see all of my hardware in the BIOS).

As for "Custom" install being selected, I don't even get to a point in the install where I am given any options to choose from. It freezes on the first starting windows screen.

Yes, the ROM quits reading the disc after a few minutes. The ROM's light goes out. I have tried two different ROMs (both brand new).

I tried booting in safe mode, and it seems to get stuck after loading the disk.sys file. Not sure if this information helps or not. I would really appreciate a solution. Or at least some guidance on where to go next?

In case anyone out there is having the same problem as I am, check your PSU. After running across another user who had the same problem as I was having, I sent a PM asking if he/she had ever found a solution.

The solution was to swap out the Corsair TX950 PSU with a Corsair HX1000 PSU. For whatever reason, the TX950 was incompatible with the Asus P6TD Deluxe motherboard (and other Asus mobos). I also read somewhere that someone also had a problem with the TX850.

[Solved] Windows 7 install hangs on "starting windows" screen - general-discussion - windows-7

I have just installed Windows 7 64Bit and experienced the same problem, my solution way to open and close the DVD tray, this seemed to prompt the process again. I had to do this a number of times, when I noticed the activity on the hard drive had stopped.

No idea why it should just halt like that, but it worked out in the end!

Back
Top Bottom