Windows 8 Can't find what I download

cryptogram

How I hate W8.1. I've spent and wasted hours trying to get to grips with it. My current issue is that when I download some software I just can't find it. Latest is Windows file converter to enable me to open Word 2007 files with Word 2003. I've downloaded it and looked through all the programs and it's just not there. Someone help me, please, before I throw this damn computer against the wall.

Hello and welcome to the forums
Typically (by default) most browser will place downloaded files into
C:\Users\YourUserName\Downloads
Unless you've set your browser to do otherwise.

Yes, indeed. But having downloaded the .exe file I then installed the software. How do I now use it? I can't find it.

From the start screen just hit the all programs button (little down arrow near the bottom left) scroll as needed and it should be there. You can always right click it and choose pin to start for a little more convenient finding.

IDK.... maybe that particular program doesn't install as an .exe
Maybe it just works by adding some functionality to your earlier version of Word.
Have you tried opening a .docx in your version of Word to see if it functions?

In would seem that all the necessary files Excelcnv.exe, PPCNVCOM.exe and Wordconv.exe, for Excel, Power Point and Word.
See attachment.
Convert.PNG

When I try to open the docx I get a dialog inviting me to convert the file but the options don't include the file converter I've installed.

OK..... I'm stumped and no way to reproduce your issue on my machine as I'm running Office 2013.
Sorry maybe someone with a similar setup as yours may have something additional to contribute.

OK, But the thing is, not that the converter won't work but that I can't find it having installed it. I now find that I can't find Pokki that I installed the other day nor Freecell that I like to play. I've never been so frustrated by a computer as I am now. It never seems to behave the same way twice.

Hi

I recommend that you give Classic Shell a try.
It's a free program that will make Windows 8 look and work pretty much the same as Windows 7 or XP if you want it to.

I've used it since Windows 7 came out, (I didn't like the scrolling programs menu) it's trouble free, (sorry Trouble no slight intended) and works great.

I'd go crazy if I had to only use the Metro interface all the time.

Your computer will boot directly to the Windows Desktop, it will open multiple windows and have a task bar and all the stuff you are used to.

You can turn it on and off at any time and you can still access the Metro screen with the corner areas or the Windows button, if you want to (I almost never do) and you can get back to doing things on your computer instead of trying to figure out how you get to it.

http://www.classicshell.net/downloads/

You might also be interested in Modern Mix which will let the Metro interface open multiple screens and have expand and close buttons in the corner like a normal windows.

Desktop_zps5931994e.jpg

This is my Windows 8 boot screen.

Also take a look at Rocket Dock, the bar above the task bar, that lets me access all me commonly used software and folders with one click. Also free!

http://rocketdock.com/

There is also a way to get the old FreeCell (I'm a addict) and other games in Windows 8, I'll look it up when I get back into Windows.

Mike

Ps. I'm messing around and have added this message while booted into Ubuntu, running on a flash drive. It seems to work great, at least it gives you access to your computer in an emergency.

Last edited:
Yes, indeed. But having downloaded the .exe file I then installed the software. How do I now use it? I can't find it.

I occasionally ran into this with Win 7. If programs don't show up anywhere, look for the installation, itself. In Win 7, some programs get installed in /Program Files; the vast majority in /Program Files (x86). Often, it will be in a directory tree named for the software publisher, so you might need to explore. If you find several .exe files and aren't sure which is the main program, just double-click a likely candidate and see if it launches what you expect. Once you find the main .exe file, you can right click on it to create a desktop shortcut and from there, drag it onto the system tray if you want. However, as Trouble described, some things don't run as a stand-alone program. They install directly into something else and function as a plug-in, so you won't find an executable file.

And having said all that, I keep discovering that Win 8 is different in so many ways; I don't know if the directory structure is the same (I'm not a Win 8 user). So if Microsoft didn't screw with the directory structure, this information might be useful.

OK, But the thing is, not that the converter won't work but that I can't find it having installed it. I now find that I can't find Pokki that I installed the other day nor Freecell that I like to play. I've never been so frustrated by a computer as I am now. It never seems to behave the same way twice.
Hi

It's a free program that will make Windows 8 look and work pretty much the same as Windows 7 or XP if you want it to.

I've used it since Windows 7 came out, (I didn't like the scrolling programs menu) it's trouble free, (sorry Trouble no slight intended) and works great.

Your computer will boot directly to the Windows Desktop, it will open multiple windows and have a task bar and all the stuff you are used to.

You can turn it on and off at any time and you can still access the Metro screen with the corner areas or the Windows button, if you want to (I almost never do) and you can get back to doing things on your computer instead of trying to figure out how you get to it.

You might also be interested in Modern Mix which will let the Metro interface open multiple screens and have expand and close buttons in the corner like a normal windows.

Desktop_zps5931994e.jpg

Also take a look at Rocket Dock, the bar above the task bar, that lets me access all me commonly used software and folders with one click. Also free!

There is also a way to get the old FreeCell (I'm a addict) and other games in Windows 8, I'll look it up when I get back into Windows.

Mike

Ps. I'm messing around and have added this message while booted into Ubuntu, running on a flash drive. It seems to work great, at least it gives you access to your computer in an emergency.
I tried
Hi

Desktop_zps5931994e.jpg

Mike

Hi

Desktop_zps5931994e.jpg

Mike

I tried to use that but had some problem that I now can't remember (everything in W8 causes me a problem!) so I tried Pokki. That seemed to work reasonably well but now I can't find that! I'll give Classicshell a go when I get back to my laptop - maybe rocketdock as well. All this takes time. Thanks for these steers.

I occasionally ran into this with Win 7. If programs don't show up anywhere, look for the installation, itself. In Win 7, some programs get installed in /Program Files; the vast majority in /Program Files (x86). Often, it will be in a directory tree named for the software publisher, so you might need to explore. If you find several .exe files and aren't sure which is the main program, just double-click a likely candidate and see if it launches what you expect. Once you find the main .exe file, you can right click on it to create a desktop shortcut and from there, drag it onto the system tray if you want. However, as Trouble described, some things don't run as a stand-alone program. They install directly into something else and function as a plug-in, so you won't find an executable file.

And having said all that, I keep discovering that Win 8 is different in so many ways; I don't know if the directory structure is the same (I'm not a Win 8 user). So if Microsoft didn't screw with the directory structure, this information might be useful.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

Cant help with the converter, as, like Trouble, I dont use either programs. But for other programs which you have installed, have you tried clicking back to the Metro screen and then clicking the "all programs " option. Any newly installed programs should be sitting there.
But, as a matter of interest, which converter have you been trying to use? Have you looked here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/924074

Hey Mike.

Horses for courses I guess.
"I'd go crazy if I had to only use the Metro interface all the time."

I would certainly go crazy if I had to wade through that desktop in your picture --lol.... No offence.
This is my menu, one click away.

Startmenu.png

Ewwww! Gnome 3 has escaped Linux and is hiding out in Windows! What is that, a periodic table of applications? At least the micro-sized text explains what the cryptic icons stand for, instead of the gibberish in alphabetical order that is Gnome 3. And how handy is it to access your applications when you have stuff open on the desktop? To each his own. Guess that's why there's both vanilla and chocolate ice cream. :hide:

How Handy. You can click the start icon, or, alternatively, click the windows key, and you are there. The "micro" text is much clearer in the real thing, it is my picture which has deprecated it.
Frankly, with a failing memory, I don't think I could ever remember what all those icons (without text) represented in, for example, Mike's clip. This is, perhaps, a more realistic picture of one of the icons

upload_2014-7-29_17-18-51.png

Back