Windows 8 Can't Get Display on TV

hawkeye62

Extraordinary Member
I have an HDMI cable connected to my HD TV, input 3. I have a Win 8.1 laptop (Lenovo 11s) that I can connect to the HDMI cable and the laptop will show it's display on the TV. BUT, I have a second Win 8 laptop (Asus UX303LA) that will not show it's display on the TV. I have tried all options, duplicate, extended and only for the output to the TV. No option does anything. The TV says no signal.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. (I hope I don't have to send the laptop in for repairs.)

Thanks and best regards, Jim

It is a little hard for us to research you laptop and find a reason it may not be working as you expect. You are running a different OS and that could be part of the problem.

If you are running the same HDMI cable from both Laptops, it probably isn't that. Maybe the UX303LA has some setting in the bios to allow the HDMI output..

Is everything else on the two systems the same, such as Display resolution and type of Video adapters/drivers?

I don't understand what you mean by "different OS". Win 8.1 on both laptops.

Anyway, I did some more fiddling. I unplugged the HDMI cable from TV and laptop, switched ends and plugged the cable in to TV and laptop. Then I turned on the TV and set the input to HDMI 3. TV gave message "searching for a signal". Then I powered up the laptop. SUCCESS!

As much as I can remember, the power on sequence is the only thing I did differently. Switching cable ends may have done something, but since it worked on the 11s, it is not a "one way" cable and may have had nothing to do with the success.

And, I didn't have to do any selection of displays on the laptop, it just switched to the TV.

Thanks, Jim

Glad you got it working. A minor point, but you say one system is 8.1 and one system is 8. According to Microsoft, those are different OSes, although we all know they are not.....but there may be differences in their capabilities.

Glad you got it working. A minor point, but you say one system is 8.1 and one system is 8. According to Microsoft, those are different OSes, although we all know they are not.....but there may be differences in their capabilities.

Sorry, my bad, both laptops are Win 8.1.

Best regards, Jim

Back