Windows 7 can't get past loading screen on windows 7

andrew wang

Hi, so I've been enjoying windows 7 on a computer I built about half a year ago. However, recently I decided to invest in a new HDD (this one is ssd) as well as a new gpu. I tested and installed the 64bit home premium os at my friends house on his computer which seemed to boot perfectly. When I went back home I couldnt get past the windows startup screen. After trying to repair/start windows in safe mode, I get the following error:

Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external USB drive that is failing. Make sure any removable storage is properly connected and then restart your computer.

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured.

After going back to my friends house, he ws still able to boot the ssd through his computer. I tried reinstalling the os, (was able to boot everything the first time but got the same error afterwards), swapping the gpus, unplugging the other hdd, checking the boot priority in bios, restoring boot priority to default, and sticking the win7 cd back in in an attempt to repair it through there. Yeh nothings working and any advice will help :/ thanks. Btw, as of now the only thing I can think of is an outdated bios. (Which doesnt make sense because my other hd could boot up fine while it still had windows7 and I never updated the bios) anyways, if its really the bios, how do I update it?

Not sure what steps you've taken with respect to the actual "new install" but I suppose it is possible that your boot files may still reside on your old hard drive (if it was present during the install) as part of the system reserve partition.
Leave everything as it is presently and try simply reversing the cabling (data cable at the drives or at the motherboard, whichever is most convenient) between the two drives and see if the machine will boot.
This is just a guess, without being able to see you actual drive configuration presently in Disk Management.

I am still trying to sort out your comments about installing the OS on your Friend's computer. Did you install it on your SSD on his system? Different controllers used for the install might be presenting a problem. Let's say, for instance, you friends computer was using the IDE controller instead of AHCI. The resulting install would not boot in your system if you were using AHCI. I suppose changing your controller configuration for testing might be an option.

Bios update can sometimes help with a new CPU being recognized. Normally the system would refuse to even run, I don't think we could completely rule out an involvement. Maybe a few more specifics about the motherboard/GPU/System Configuration would help. Does the old hard drive still boot normally in your system?

The way I understand what you did is you installed the OS on the SSD using your friends PC and then pulled it out and then plugged the SSD with installed OS in your PC.That will not work. The installation is looking for the PC you installed it on and trying to identify all the hardware which are different from your machine. You will have to install it from your own machine. But before you do, make sure to put your PC back the way it was before. If you upgraded the GPU, put the old one back. Or if you added any new hardware or upgrades, put everything back the way it was when you bought your machine. Those upgrades have specific drivers that may not come with the Win 7 installer and will just give you BSODs afterwards. Put back all those upgrades and install the drivers when the Win 7 installation is complete.

Last edited:
Sorry if my post wasn't very clear; I was on my tablet because my PC wouldn't run. Anyways, long story short, I did reinstall the win7 on my computer after I couldn't find the problem.(forgot to mention in my first post) I'm still running into the same issue, but I've got on a couple times. I also managed to format my old hdd into a storage partition and that worked out fine. Currently, its like a hit or miss everytime i start up my computer. If I'm lucky I get onto my desktop in like 5-6 seconds. If I'm unlucky I'll either run into the same problem or my mobo will fail to read my SSD and boot up my old HD which doesnt do anything haha. I know a guy who has the same exact problem with booting Win7 on his SSD, and he thinks its because MSI mobos just aren't very compatible with Win7+SSD for some odd reason. (coincidentally we both have an MSI mobo) Not sure if i can do anything about it, but i guess it would explain how my ssd would work on my friend's comp

Why don't you re-install the OS on the original hd and see if it works. If it does, then we've at least manage to narrow down your issue which is your SSD compatibility theory. If the OS works perfectly on the HDD after the installation, download a free Macrium Reflect and just clone the Win 7 OS from HDD to SSD (will probably take 10 to 15 mins) and see if it works that way.

If you are getting the same

Info: An unexpected I/O error has occured
Consistently when the machine fails to boot you may want to first check and confirm that you have the latest MoBo Chipset Drivers intalled and then second, check with the hard disk manufacturer and see if possibly there is a firmware update for that particular make and model SSD.
Lastly you may want to consider that perhaps you just got a bad SSD, it can happen.
If the OS runs fine on a spinner and the Chipset / Controller drivers and SSD firmware are up to date, that doesn't leave much to blame.

I also managed to format my old hdd into a storage partition and that worked out fine. Currently, its like a hit or miss everytime i start up my computer. If I'm lucky I get onto my desktop in like 5-6 seconds. If I'm unlucky I'll either run into the same problem or my mobo will fail to read my SSD and boot up my old HD which doesn't do anything haha.
If you no longer need the old hard drive for your OS, did you clean it prior to setting it up for data? If it still has an active partition, it could cause problems.

As Trouble mentions, the firmware on the SSD might be involved. Is there an update for your SSD? If you were to reinstall Windows 7 for some reason, you might even want to clean the SSD using Diskpart to make sure nothing is left from the other install.

Edit: And of course, good connections are essential. So, just in case, make sure the SATA connections are good, be it not secure or a bad cable.

Back