Windows 8 Can't get rid of Babylon Search Engine in Chrome!!!

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I've been trying to get rid of this for several days with no luck.

I found that you get this malware by installing Mozilla Firefox, it then spreads to your other browsers if you have them.

I installed Firefox to try and fix the problems I was having with cutting and pasting in this forum now I can't get rid of this thing from Chrome, I was able to remove it from Firefox and Internet Explorer.

I searched and tried 5 or 6 different ways of removing it.

Even when you go into tools and remove it from everyplace it shows up it still opens instead of your home page.

I ran Agent Ransack and remove every folder and file I could find and it's still there.
Both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware failed to get rid of it.

It appears to be just an ad-ware thing but it drives me nuts that I can't get rid of it.

I can't find any removal tool or anything to get rid of it.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Mike

Hi

I think that I've gotten rid of it.
I finally completely uninstalled Chrome, cleaned any reference to Babylon, and then rebooted and re-installed Chrome.

So far so good.

Mike

I hate it when things like that get installed on you, sometimes you get tricked don't know its been installed. Many times people have asked me to get rid of it. My parents have installed it by accident too and I had to tell them to be sure and read things before agreeing to install a program because they can come with malware or crappy toolbars for browsers.

As you have fixed it, no prob. But what I have done, when that accursed program gets installed, (IE), is first, uninstall in Programs and Features. (should it be present.) Then In IE. Manage add - ons - Search Providers, you will probably find you have a couple, or at least one other entry. Babylon will have set itself as the default. Make one of the alternatives as the default (Bing?), and you will then find you can "remove" with the bottom right tag.

Back