Can't map some network drives

SteelRat62

Hello All,

I have a fairly simple setup. 4 PCs, one acts as a defacto file server, running Win 11. The rest are mixes of Win 10 and 11.

On one machine (call it newpc also running win11) trying to map to a specific drive on the file server, I get the error "you do not have permission to access... Contact your administrator..." however, I can map to two other drives from newpc to the server without a problem. All the drives are shared the exact same way. All permissions given.

The other two machines, both running Win 10, can connect and map the same drive without issue.

I've tried many different suggestions, including:

• making sure file and printer sharing is turned on on the server, and turning off password protection.
  • Turning on SMB for the two machines in question
  • Unsharing the drive, rebooting the server, re-sharing the drive.
  • Mapping with different credentials, then it tells me I'm already connected with other credentials, which is false.
None of these things fixes the issue, and it's driving me absolutely insane!

Can anyone help?

If you are using credentials make sure the credentialed user has both share permissions and local permissions to the shared resource. These permission types are different, but required.

If you are using credentials make sure the credentialed user has both share permissions and local permissions to the shared resource. These permission types are different, but required.
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't specifically want to use credentials, but Win 11 seems to want them. As I mentioned, all drives are shared in the same way, so it makes no sense to me that some will connect and others won't, only from this one machine.

If you want anonymous access you would need to make sure the 'Everyone' group has local access. Everyone is essentially anonymous aka no authentication

If you want anonymous access you would need to make sure the 'Everyone' group has local access. Everyone is essentially anonymous aka no authentication
It's not a matter of me wanting anonymous access, I just want it to work the way it used to. right-click on a network drive and map it. Something changed that made only work on certain drives and not others. It wasn't a change I made.

When I share a drive, I select advanced sharing, share the drive (root folder). Then I select Permissions. Then Everyone, and All permissions. That's what I've always done.

Does it work if you authenticate the mapping using the credentials of the networked machines local account?

Back