Windows 7 Can't re-install Windows 7 (Factory Install) after virus

GW7777

My Acer 7736Z-4809 laptop (pre-installed w/ Win7 Home Premium 64bit, so I don't have the Win7 CD) was recently hit with a virus. I constantly got the BSOD "iaStor.sys" and a black screen. Startup Repair at first couldn't complete repair, but when I tried again, it found no errors. Tried System Restore to no avail. Was able to do a System Image Recovery using a backup on an external HD, but none of the programs worked (wanted to use Ad-Aware and Spybot to eliminate the virus). When I clicked on programs on the desktop or Start menu, nothing happened, didn't even get an "Open with." Even in Safe Mode, none of the programs worked. I checked the Task Mgr, and explorer.exe was still there, but RAID wasn't. Went to Control Panel Programs to uninstall/repair programs, but got message that programs seemed to be already uninstalled...it was like the programs weren't even recognized. Once in awhile when I clicked on IE8 in Windows Explorer (not via desktop shortcut or Start menu), IE8 actually opened, so I downloaded Hijack This and Avast anti-virus, but when I tried to install them, I got the msg: "Installation must be on a local hard drive."

Continued to get the "iaStor.sys" BSOD. I read to run Verifier and disable it, so I tried that (not sure if that made things worse). Tried to do another System Image Recovery, but this time it couldn't recognize the backup on the ext HD. Tried Startup Repair, and it couldn't complete repair. Went to Recovery Management to reset the OS, but my User ID(?) couldn't be found. Decided to do a Factory Install - during "Setup is preparing your computer for first use" I got the error msg: "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click 'OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." Every time I try to restart it, I get the same error msg.

BIOS Setup Defaults:

Quiet Boot: [Enabled]
Network Boot: [Enabled]
F12 Boot Menu: [Disabled]
D2D Recovery: [Enabled]
SATA Mode: [AHCI]

Thanks in advance.

Have you always used AHCI for the SATA controller?

Do you have an external HD plugged in all the time?

Are you running a RAID?

Last edited:
Have you always used AHCI for the SATA controller?

Do you have an external HD plugged in all the time?

Are you running a RAID?

Yes, AHCI b/c that's the default. I hadn't looked into the BIOS until now. If I recall correctly w/o turning the laptop on, the other option is IDE.

The external HD was plugged in 24/7 until yesterday.

I think the laptop was running a RAID. I recall seeing that in the Task Manager before all the trouble started.

Went to the site. Downloaded the 2 files for 64 bit. One is 123k the other is 13k both have suffix .tor
Copied to a CD.
They will not run and the site you suggested does not provide instructions.

Don't know about any references, but you may need to remove the .tor from the end and use the other extension.

It's a torrent file I think. You'll need something like Utorrent to download the actual file.
Joe

Back
Top Bottom