Windows 7 Cant switch graphic cards on HP pavilion DV7 6050ec

Honza Bartek

I just reinstalled my computer with windows 7 64bit and I have HP pavilion dv7 6050ec with two graphic cards : mobility radeon HD 6770M and a generic Intel HD Graphics Family. Since I reinstalled the computer, I no longer have to option to chose what graphic card I want to use. Before this reinstallation I could just right click on the desktop and there was a option that said Switch Graphical units, but now there is nothing like that. And I have the latest drivers for both graphic cards and latest Catalyst Control Center and Direct X installed. And in device manager all drivers are installed correctly. So I have no idea what to do.
Please help :)

I could not find you system on the HP site. But I would think the switching feature is a property of an Intel driver that show in my notification. I will reference an Intel site that basically the way graphics switching is implemented depends on the manufacturer, but maybe you will see something that might help.

Graphics — Switchable Graphics feature FAQ

There is also another driver that might be involved and it is available under the Chipset section.

Intel Management Engine Interface (MEI)

Last edited:
I was looking at my system and noticed the "LucidLogix Virtu" might involved on an ASUS board. It seems to be designed to choose which video card would best produce the necessary output. I do not know if it has an option to switch devices manually.

Back