Windows 7 Can't turn off task scheduler

tblount

I'm stumped... I want to turn off the task scheduler... so far I've tried these methods without success:

1. Run Task Scheduler and look for the OFF option under options... nothing there but a disk cleaning uption. It used to be there in previous versions of windows

2. Task Manager and went to Services/services and tried to disable it... it's greyed out... no go

3. Went to properties ... changed the path... rebooted... path was changed back

4. Starting to feel like the guy with the doll he couldn't get rid of in the Twilight Zone

5. Tried to rename taskschd.msc ..trusted installer wouldn't allow that

6. Tried to give myself Trusted installer permission to modify it..... it refused.

7. Ran Autoruns and checked services.... Task Scheduler is not listed like the other services.

8. Starting to feel stupid... can't figure out why Microsoft wants it to run so badly that they make it so difficult to turn off.

9. Now I'm asking the experts. Will give you credit and make you famous when you show me how easy it is to turn off.

Last edited:
Rather than disbale the entire service I simply went through all the scheduled tasks and disabled the ones I deemed unecessary. I only kept around 5 or so enabled in the end. I'm one for disabling tasks/services myself, but Task Scheduler does still have a few important uses IMO.

Rather than disbale the entire service I simply went through all the scheduled tasks and disabled the ones I deemed unecessary. I only kept around 5 or so enabled in the end. I'm one for disabling tasks/services myself, but Task Scheduler does still have a few important uses IMO.

Which ones are important?

Which ones are important?

Well I have seen a lot of tweak guides and usually they recommended, or at least suggested, that all of them can 'safely' be disabled. I kept a few basic ones like Time Synchronisation for my own piece of mind!

Well I have seen a lot of tweak guides and usually they recommended, or at least suggested, that all of them can 'safely' be disabled. I kept a few basic ones like Time Synchronisation for my own piece of mind!

I use atomtime and just run it if I notice my wall clock and sytem clock are different... that keeps BOTH my clocks accurate. :cool:

Back