Windows 7 Can't uplevel folders

skeptic

why cant i go back one folder if for example i went directly to %windir%\system32
if i want to go back to windows folder i have to click in the address bar and delete the system32 unlike ealier windows verisions i could just click on the up arrow button

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Yeah, they got rid of that feature for some reason it seems. But you shouldn't need to actually edit the path in the address bar. If you've got it set in "breadcrumbs" mode (as in the screenshot) you can just click on the directory. So in the example you posted, to go up one level, just click on where it says "Windows" (between "Local Disk [C:]" and "System32"). This is basically the same as clicking on the "up" button in older windows versions, but with more flexibility: you can go up multiple levels in one click, which I guess is why they got rid of the up button.

What annoys me is that they also got rid of the keyboard shortcut - backspace now takes you "back" not "up". If anyone knows a way to restore the old behaviour of the backspace key in explorer I'd love to hear it.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums, skeptic and mishagale. : )

why cant i go back one folder if for example i went directly to %windir%\system32
if i want to go back to windows folder

To go back one folder, simply press Alt-Up.

Code:
#IfWinActive, ahk_class CabinetWClass
Backspace::
   ControlGet  renamestatus,Visible,,Edit1,A
   ControlGetFocus focussed, A
    if(renamestatus!=1&&(focussed=”DirectUIHWND3″||focussed=SysTreeView321))
    {
    SendInput {Alt Down}{Up}{Alt Up}
  }else{
      Send  {Backspace}
  }
#IfWinActive
where do i put all this lines? didnt get it
i downloaded the executable and ran it but its same as alt+up just backspace

Just follow the steps detailed on the howto geek site. You first need to restart explorer.exe (or just reboot your computer) then enable the toolbar from the "View --> Toolbars" menu in windows explorer. There are detailed instructions and screenshots on the link I posted. I'm afraid I don't have the software installed myself, I just found the article on google.

If you are allergic to keyboard shortcuts, the closest I can find is this:
Tabbed Explorer Add-on for Windows Vista (and an Up Button too!) - How-To Geek
Sounds like it works, but I've never tried it myself.

cybercore: Thanks. I've actually been here a while, but I only turn up when I want something ;)

Nice solution. : ) Yes, I saw you around before, it would have been a little impolite to welcome only skeptic, so I welcomed you too.

Code:
    {
  }else{
      Send  {Backspace}
  }
#IfWinActive
where do i put all this lines? didnt get it
i downloaded the executable and ran it but its same as alt+up just backspace

You need to have Link Removed - Invalid URL installed, then copy that script to notepad, save it as name.ahk, and click to run. Try mishagale's link too.

can't open it

2010-08-04_0457.png

Last edited:
Just follow the steps detailed on the howto geek site. You first need to restart explorer.exe (or just reboot your computer) then enable the toolbar from the "View --> Toolbars" menu in windows explorer. There are detailed instructions and screenshots on the link I posted. I'm afraid I don't have the software installed myself, I just found the article on google.
yea just in the screenshots i dont have in win7 what is shown there. and i already restarted after installation :)
image23.png

anyway i downloaded it to my dedicated server
installed, open new file with notepad called "hotkey.ahk".
added this script
Code:
    {
  }else{
      Send  {Backspace}
  }
saved and converted to exe right?
what's next?
#IfWinActive

anyway i downloaded it to my dedicated server
installed, open new file with notepad called "hotkey.ahk".
added this script
Code:
    {
  }else{
      Send  {Backspace}
  }
saved and converted to exe right?
what's next?
#IfWinActive

Next run it.

Ah, their first picture was misleading, basically this script assigns 'backspace' the keystroke of 'alt-up' only when windows explorer is active. So, this is not exactly whast you want.

Back
Top Bottom