Windows 7 Card Reader Installation Question

Jerald7

I have an "AFT PRO-57U" USB 3.0 card reader that I just purchased. The cable for this card reader must plug into the mobo USB 3.0 20 pin connector. My mobo has only one 20 pin connector, which the USB panel on front of the PC case is currently occupying. I'd rather not have to unplug the case front panel. Is there any work-around for this?

Thanks for any help you may have.

My System:
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
Mobo: MSI Z87 MPOWER LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Extreme OC Flagship High Performance Triple CFX/ SLI Platform Intel Motherboard
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready
Memory(16 GB): Crucial Ballistix 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model BLT8G3D1608DT1TX0
Case: Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256N/AM 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
Hard Drive: Western Digital Black WD2002FAEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
DVD drive: LITE-ON 24X DVD Writer Internal 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model ihas324-07
Monitors: (2) ASUS 27" (1) ASUS 24"
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium

I have just found a couple of USB 3.0 PCI cards at Newegg that have a 20 pin USB 3.0 internal port on it. Is this the best way (or only way) to get a second 20 pin USB 3.0 internal port?

I suppose since they stopped using the Intel USB 3.0 controller on motherboards, only one connector will be available.

Your solution would seem to be the only way to add another connector, by adding another controller via an add-on card.

Last edited:
Huh? Who stopped using them? I am aware of some compatibility issues when upgrading W7 to W8, but I am not aware, and cannot find any reference to anyone no longer using Intel USB 3.0 controllers.

See Where is Intel® USB 3.0 Extensible Host Controller driver for Windows 8?
The Z87 boards, at least the ASUS ones, no longer use an Intel USB 3.0 controller. I did not check the OP's board specifically, but if there is only one connection, only one controller is being used.

Edit: It looks like the board has two USB controllers. The internal connection comes from the chipset, which for the Z87 chipset seems to be a Renesas driver. If you consider that being an Intel contoller, looks like it is still being used, just not with Intel drivers. For the record, I have never had a problem with the Intel USB 3.0 drivers in any OS on any board.

Last edited:
I think it depends on which board. I see here they use the Intel chipset's integrated controller and for additional 3.0 ports, they also use a ASMedia controller.

Unless I am missing something - which is quite possible.

The drivers for the USB 3.0 on that motherboard still say Intel USB 3.0, so it looks like you are correct and some boards are still supporting it. Asus may not because of ASMedia, which they have close ties.

Edit: It seems I misread the description on the ASUS board. It appears the single 20 pin connector comes from the Intel Chipset. Sorry

Last edited:
One more thing. If you get the card reader installed and decide to do a speed test on it, first check the speed of the media you are using.

Transferring from a Hard Drive using USB 3.0 might get you up to 100-110 MB/s. If the media's speed is less, it will be the limiting factor. Of course other things might be involved, such as the type of file being transferred. Also check a larger file to see if it maintains the transfer rate over a longer period.

Thanks guys for all your help. Guess I'll have to get a PCI card ordered. After reviewing some of them, it seems like quite a few folks have had issues with them. Seems you have to supply power to the card with an old Molex connector. Also, looks like these cards are shipped from China. Oh well.

I have a USB 3.0 PCIe x1 card, but it does not have the internal connector, just 2 ports on the back. It does have the regular 4 pin power connector that all (or at least most) computers have standard.

You do already have the card reader..right?

Yes, I already have the AFT PRO-57U" USB 3.0 card reader. If I'd noticed the 20 pin port requirement for the USB 3.0, I would probably have just gotten a USB 2.0 card reader to simplify things. I already have several external USB 3.0 jacks, don't really need more. But since I already have it, guess I'll order the PCI card.

Back