Windows 7 change desktop icon for a text document

anon125

word, notepad etc...
how do i change the icon for one of these?
it does not seem to have a 'change icon' option
i have my own icon
thanks all

Download File Types Manager from Nirsoft, a little (165kb) and free stand-alone application. With this you can change the icon for any file extension you want.
As a bonus it's one of the few that actually makes the icon change "stick".

nicee one :D

so going do that (bored of talking to x gf ) hahaha
good way to waste time make new icons and use them :D

word, notepad etc...
how do i change the icon for one of these?
it does not seem to have a 'change icon' option
i have my own icon
thanks all

You may wanna follow these simple steps:

1. Create a shortcut of the word/excel/notepad
2. Right click the shortcut, open up its properties, and change the icon of the shortcut

2. Right click the shortcut, open up its properties, and change the icon of the shortcut

try that - see if it works for you - didn't for me - hence the post!
let us know what happens.

Think that's for changing the Programs displayed icon.
As I understand it anon125 is looking to change the icons of all .txt files, all . rtf files etc. I may be wrong though!

try that - see if it works for you - didn't for me - hence the post!
let us know what happens.

Works like a charm for me. It's creating a shortcut first and then changing the icon of the shortcut.

Think that's for changing the Programs displayed icon.
As I understand it anon125 is looking to change the icons of all .txt files, all . rtf files etc. I may be wrong though!

Sure, that's why I'm talking about changing icons of individual shortcuts. Of course, this won't set the icon for all files of the same extension. This way is just extremely easy, does not include modifying, and can quite make one's documents look unique.

Last edited:
Download File Types Manager from Nirsoft, a little (165kb) and free stand-alone application. With this you can change the icon for any file extension you want.
As a bonus it's one of the few that actually makes the icon change "stick".

This worked for .txt files, but would not on the folder icon. I know it can be done because I got it to happen on an old computer after I read Elmer's post a couple of years ago.
If you inspect a desktop folder, the filetype is << File Folder >>
so opening up Filetypeman, sure enough, ' Folder ' is there. Right click it and choose 'edit', change the location of the default icon to the one you want, click okay, and the text is immediately replaced with the original.

Well, when I did it for .txt files, it changed it for that extension. Looking at ' File Folder ' to see what its extension is, it's 'Directory'
That doesn't sound encouraging
There is also an identical icon with the name 'Folder'. Its extension is shown as 'Folder'. Doesn't sound like a file extension to me, but hey, what do I know. So I try editing that in Filetypesman. This does the same thing as I got on 'File Folder'. It lets you edit it and then instantly changes it back to the original image when you hit accept.
The program, Filetypesman offers an option to open a registry edit window. Can someone tell me how to make that edit?

Back
Top Bottom