Windows 7 Changed shell file extension to notepad. How do I change it back.

There are normally two ways to change associations with file types. One is to right click and select "Open With" and make sure the check box is checked to always use.

The other is go the the Start Menu, All Programs, Default Programs and select Associate a file type ...

Not knowing what type of file or the previous extension, limits our responses.

There are normally two ways to change associations with file types. One is to right click and select "Open With" and make sure the check box is checked to always use.

The other is go the the Start Menu, All Programs, Default Programs and select Associate a file type ...

Not knowing what type of file or the previous extension, limits our responses.

'Windows shell'

Changed shell file extension to notepad. How do I change it back.
What file extension

There are two so they need to be changed back to 'windows shell'.
Which two

'Windows shell'
Surely you are not actually talking about having changed the Windows Shell to notepad? It is and should remain explorer.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon ->Shell->explorer.exe (should not be altered)

I assume you are attempting to open a particular file or perhaps program and as a result of you having changed the file association to notepad.exe you are experiencing a problem doing so. And would assume also that you are receiving some type of error.
Can you either tell us the name of the file including its' extension or perhaps the error message you may be getting?
You may need to unhide extensions of known types to actually see the file extension in question.
Open computer and from the tool bar select tools->folder options->then the view tab uncheck the box that says Hide extensions of known file types and OK your way back out of there. (if the tool bar is not displayed by default, simply strike the Alt Key on your keyboard to evoke it) This should reveal the file extension of the particular file you are having issues with.

What file extension

Which two

Surely you are not actually talking about having changed the Windows Shell to notepad? It is and should remain explorer.exe
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon ->Shell->explorer.exe (should not be altered)

I assume you are attempting to open a particular file or perhaps program and as a result of you having changed the file association to notepad.exe you are experiencing a problem doing so. And would assume also that you are receiving some type of error.
Can you either tell us the name of the file including its' extension or perhaps the error message you may be getting?
You may need to unhide extensions of known types to actually see the file extension in question.
Open computer and from the tool bar select tools->folder options->then the view tab uncheck the box that says Hide extensions of known file types and OK your way back out of there. (if the tool bar is not displayed by default, simply strike the Alt Key on your keyboard to evoke it) This should reveal the file extension of the particular file you are having issues with.

Right I understand now what I am looking for.
I know how to change a file extension but I don't know where shell32.dll is in windows 7... It's not where is is on a 32bit system...

A quick search of my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit install reveals
shell32.dll is located in C:\Windows\System32
as well as
C:\Windows\SysWOW64
and other SxS entries which I presume is where the system file checker would recover one from if it became corrupt somehow.
Have you tried the System File Checker Utility
sfc /scannow
?

Capture.PNG

No problems with scannow.
I know why I could not see the shell.dll now it was because properties search was set to programs and shell32.dll is not a program. That cleared up I still can't find the original file extension default...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom