Checking Battery Health

Hermitkrab

Toshiba Satellite laptop, Windows 10, ver 1709

I've noticed something strange concerning my battery's state of charge. When I run my PC, the battery always stops charging at 80%, which is normal for my device. However, when I start my PC a short time later, same day, the battery indicator in the notification area shows the battery is charging and shouldy take 2+ hours to reach full charge. Obviously the battery couldn't lose that much charge just sitting for a short period of time. According to the indicator, full charge is reached very quickly, so I take this to mean something is faulty in the indicator read-out. The laptop is operating normally otherwise, and usually run plugged into AC power.

Neemobeer

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Well about the only thing I use the indicator for is to make sure the battery is charging while plugged in and a rough estimate of the time remaining. The indicator takes a data set over time to calculate remaining battery and charge time which is why it can change so drastically.

Thanks for the explanation, Neemo..It only happens occasionally but I'm glad to learn it's not a problem.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.