Windows 10 CHKDSK in win7 after install win10

freddegret

sorry my english is not 100%
I have installed win 10 on a separate hard disk as a test , no big problems.
I use separate disks for separate OS-systems ,always at the start of an install of a new OS i uncouple the other disks untill the install is complete then i connect the other disk again.
Now after i used my win10 , the next time i start up with my win7-disk there are always problems and CHKDSK starts up ...after the check and some errors windows 7 starts up .
If i only use win7 i don't have that problem , the next time i used the win10 -disk it happens again when i start win 7?
What does win10 with my win7 hard disk to create this problem ?

grts

You have the WX putting data on the disk belonging to W7... this is a VERY bad idea for any dual boot system.
Boot into WX, open disk manager and remove the drive letter from the disk with W7 boot on it... if you install programs onto a different drive then also remove the W7 programs drive letter from WX.
discmag2.png

p.s. please post a screenshot of your WX disk manager if you need more help.

I am not allowed to show pics..too recent member.
With WX you mean ? Win10 ?
<<this is a VERY bad idea for any dual boot system>> why is it a bad idea everything is installed separately , if you remove a disk you still can boot from an other disk without the lost of a bootmenu and other problems.I do this since a long time,each time without problems win xp +vista+linux etc..etc now the first time problems with win10 why must win 10put data too the win7 disk ?
I booted now with every disk and each time the operating system i'm boot from is indicated as"C" all the other partitions the drive letters change each time with booting from an other disk.
sorry for my english :)

Hallo Fred,

I do about the same, I have a ssd with W10 and a harddisk with W7.
I have set My Documents, My Whatever of the W10 ssd set to the W7 hard disk to save space.
The Multi boot start from the ssd, there I get a selection W10 (starting in x sec) or W7.
No problems what so ever.

You are also using Linux and I think you are using a Linux bootmanager.
W10 has a different way of starting and shutting down and this makes it faster.

My guess is that your Linux bootmanager can't 'manage' this.
Are you using the Linux bootmanager?

===========
Ik doe ongeveer het zelfde, ik heb een ssd met W10 en een harddisk met W7.
Ik heb mijn Mijn Documenten en Mijn wat-wat-dan-ook van de W10 ssd omgezet naar de W7 schijf omdat de ssd klein is.
Multi boot start vanaf de ssd, daar krijg ik de vraag W10 (start na X sec) of W7.
Geen enkel probleem

Jij gebruikt ook Linux en ik denk dat je een Linux bootmanager gebruikt.
W10 heeft een afwijkende manier van opstarten en afsluiten en die is sneller.

Ik denk dat jouw Linux bootmanager daarmee niet om kan gaan.
Gebruik jij die Linux bootmanager?

==============
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk

Hallo Fred,

Jij gebruikt ook Linux en ik denk dat je een Linux bootmanager gebruikt.
W10 heeft een afwijkende manier van opstarten en afsluiten en die is sneller.

Ik denk dat jouw Linux bootmanager daarmee niet om kan gaan.
Gebruik jij die Linux bootmanager?

==============
Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk

Hallo , neen ik gebruik geen enkele bootmanager , in mijn bios staat ingesteld dat ik opstart van mijn gewone win7-disk.
Stel dat ik wil opstarten van een ander OS of schijf druk ik tijdens opstart op F12 waarna ik dan kan kiezen welke disk er moet opstarten.
<The F12 Boot Menu allows you to choose which device that you would like to boot the computer's Operating System from by pressing the F12 key during the computer's Power On Self Test, or POST proces>
Zoals ik al zei als ik een besturingssysteem installeer op een schijf dan koppel ik altijd de andere schijven los juist om geen bootmenu te creeren op één of andere schijf , als je dan later eventueel op de schijf met het bootmenu iets verprutst krijg je de andere schijven ook niet meer opgestart , en die reparaties om dit herstellen lopen meestal in het 100 (bij mij toch) vandaar dat ik voor die manier opteer.Tot op heden nooit geen problemen mee gehad.ik vraag mij af wat win10 eigenlijk op mijn win7 schijf zit te verprutsen.
Vraag me af wat ussnorway eigenlijk bedoelt met het verwijderen van de driveletter of wat er door opgelost zou raken, de driveletters van iedere partitie veranderen telkens al naargelang de schijf waar ik van opstart en die maakt zijn eigen partitie telkens de "C"

grts &thx

@ussnorway you said to remove the driveletter "g" on the ssd there i have no problems with chkdsk.
on "schijf0" i have also WIN7 with drive letter "H" there i have the chkdsk after using Win10.
Can i have any problems by removing the driveletters under Win10 , no more recognize of the partitions ??
If i remove the driveletters in Win 10 they won't disapear in win7 i guess?

grts &thx

Hallo , neen ik gebruik geen enkele bootmanager , in mijn bios staat ingesteld dat ik opstart van mijn gewone win7-disk.
Stel dat ik wil opstarten van een ander OS of schijf druk ik tijdens opstart op F12 waarna ik dan kan kiezen welke disk er moet opstarten.
<The F12 Boot Menu allows you to choose which device that you would like to boot the computer's Operating System from by pressing the F12 key during the computer's Power On Self Test, or POST proces>
Zoals ik al zei als ik een besturingssysteem installeer op een schijf dan koppel ik altijd de andere schijven los juist om geen bootmenu te creeren op één of andere schijf , als je dan later eventueel op de schijf met het bootmenu iets verprutst krijg je de andere schijven ook niet meer opgestart , en die reparaties om dit herstellen lopen meestal in het 100 (bij mij toch) vandaar dat ik voor die manier opteer.Tot op heden nooit geen problemen mee gehad.ik vraag mij af wat win10 eigenlijk op mijn win7 schijf zit te verprutsen.
Vraag me af wat ussnorway eigenlijk bedoelt met het verwijderen van de driveletter of wat er door opgelost zou raken, de driveletters van iedere partitie veranderen telkens al naargelang de schijf waar ik van opstart en die maakt zijn eigen partitie telkens de "C"

grts &thx
Hallo Fred,

So every OS has its own disk. You don't use a bootmanager, but select an OS during start up by pressing F12 and selecting the appropriate disk. And this never went wrong.

Norway wants you to removing the drive letter from the disks not containing the OS currently in use, making them inaccessable. You won't be able to open any file on them.

That your W7 disk needs CHKDSK after that you ran W10, means that W10 left some file open on the W7 disk on shutting down.
Removing the drive letter of the drive letter of the W7 disk in the W10 environment makes it inaccessable, hence no files can't be opened on it and so nothing can be left open.

What have you opened on the W7 disk when you are using W10
===========================================================
Dus elk OS heeft zijn eigen disk. Je gebruikt geen bootmanager, maar kiest je OS door tijdens opstarten F12 in te drukken en dan de betreffende schijf te kiezen. En dat ging nooit mis.

Norway laat je de schijf-letter weghalen van de schijven die niet het OS bevatten dat je nu gebruikt, daardoor zijn ze onbereikbaar geworden. Je kunt er niets meer op openen.

Dat je W7 schijf CHKDSK nodig heeft nadat je W10 gebruikt hebt, betekent dat een of ander bestand open bleef bij het uitschakelen van W10. Als je de disk letter van de W7 schijf weghaalt, wordt die schijf onbereikbaar en kan er ook niets meer open blijven staan.

Wat doe je zoal op de W7 schijf als je W10 opgestart hebt?

Met vriendelijke groet,
Henk

Oké alvast bedankt voor je uitgebreide uitleg in twee talen :)
Nu snap ik waarom de driveletter zou moeten verdwijnen , maar in feite doe ik niets op de win7 partitie ( vanuit win10)wel op de andere partities die op dezelfde schijf staan,daar staan dan bestanden allerhande die ik van "overal" wil kunnen gebruiken(pics-muziek-progs etc)
Volgens mij zit win 10 al is het maar via verkenner in al die partities te "klooien" om één of andere reden , zou dan in feite bijna al die driveletters moeten verwijderen.Als ik me niet vergis heeft CHKDSK ,reeds al mijn partities gecontroleerd na gebruik win10.
Ik weet zeker dat ik voorheen al vanuit één os in een ander os hebben zitten kijken en dat dit nooit een opstart met CHkdsk heeft veroorzaakt , dus ligt het puur aan win10 die bepaalde akties uitvoerd die ...?

Hallo Fred,

To summarize: you understand why that driveletter H should be removed, but you don't understand what W10 does to causing this.
I don't know it either, but who cares, there is always somebody on this forum who understands and we can ask, so as long as it solves your problem, please try it.

The language on this forum is English, so I have to translate.
Hope your problem is solved.

Kind regards
=========
Even samenvatten: je begrijpt waarom die schijfletter H er uit moet, maar je begrijpt niet wat W10 dan uitspookt om dat te veroorzaken. Ik zou het ook niet weten, maar wat geeft het, hier op dit forum is altijd wel iemand die het wel weet en wij het kunnen vragen, dus gewoon even proberen.

De voertaal op dit forum is Engels, dus ik moet wel vertalen.
Ik hoop dat het je probleem oplost.

Met vriendelijke groet,
=======

Henk

Hey ,I finaly removed the drive letter but the problem is still the same.
CHKDSK runs up when i boot the Win7 disk the next time, also the other partitions are no more available on that same win7-disk (i only removed the win7 driveletter)
.When i removed the drive letter of the win7 partition the other partition where accessible of that same disk.(before reboot)
Today after reboot win10, they where all gone in windows explorer.

I did the same in win7>removed the driveletter of the win10 partition.In win7 i still can see the other partion of the win10-disk....i think some kind of bug in win10 that creates that kind of problem ??

Oké and the next time i boot win10, the other partition are again accessible..strange.
But the CHKDSK problem is still there it takes 30minutes to start win7 after i booted the win10.
The drive letter i removed is from the disk2

na%20remove%20driveletter_1.jpg

Even kijken of ik het nu wel begrijp:
Hier boven gebruik je W10
Je boot van disk 0, of gebruikt tijdens opstarten de F12 toets om de disk met het OS van je keuze te selecteren
- W10 is geïnstalleerd op schijf 1 partitie C:
- W7 SSD versie is geïnstalleerd op schijf 0 partitie G:
- W7 niet SSD is geïnstalleerd op disk 2 partitie I:

Als je eerst W10 gebruikte en dan gaat naar W7 SSD, schijf 0 part G:, dan start eerst CHKDSK op
en / of
als je eerst W10 gebruikte en dan gaat naar W7 niet SSD, schijf 2 part I:, dan start eerst CHKDSK op

De partities 'Door systeem gereserveerd' horen elk bij een enkel OS en behoren geen drive letter hebben als een ander OS opgestart is. En ik zie 3 OS versies en maar 2 'Door systeem gereserveerd' n.l. op schijf 0 en 2. Dat moet wel conflicten geven.

In het bovenstaand plaatje is schijf 0 partitie F: gebruikt door W10, maar het is ook heel denkbaar dat W7 die ook gebruikt.
Daar is het probleem.

Maar hoe dat te verhelpen....
======================================
Let's see if I understands it well:
In the above picture you are on W10
You boot from disk 0, or use F12 during start up and selects the drive with the OS of your choise
- W10 resides on disk 1 partition C:
- W7 SSD version resides on disk 0 partition G:
- W7 non SSD version resides on disk2 partition I:

When you first used W10 then booted to W7 SSD, (disk 0 part G) CHKDSK started
and also / or
When you first used W10 then booted to W7 non SSD (disk2 part I) CHKDSK started

The general idea is that the partitions 'System reserved' belong to one and only one OS and should not have a drive letter when any other OS is used. And I see 3 OS versions and only 2 'System reserved', they are on disk 0 and 2. That should lead to conflicts.

In the picture above disk 0 partition F is used by W10 and may well have been used by W7 also.
There is the problem.

But how to solve it....

Henk

Hallo ,je ziet het bijna gans juist.
Standaard start hij op win7 op disk 2 , wil ik iets anders via F12.

CHKDSK started only after i use win10 on disk1, and only with win 7 on disk2
The win7 on disk 0 has no CHKDSK problem the SSD

<<<De partities 'Door systeem gereserveerd' horen elk bij een enkel OS en behoren geen drive letter hebben als een ander OS opgestart is. En ik zie 3 OS versies en maar 2 'Door systeem gereserveerd' n.l. op schijf 0 en 2. Dat moet wel conflicten geven.<<

Hier volg ik niet......Ik zie maar één partitie met "door systeem gereserveerd" en dit op de SSD en die is door win7 zelf gecreërd bij install op de SSD.( en die heeft juist geen problemen)
Ik koppel altijd bij install van een OS de andere schijven los , kan me dan moeilijk voorstellen als je een complete install gedaan hebt op "één schijf" de andere losgekoppeld ,dat er dan naar verloop van tijd als er een disk bijkomt die op dezelfde manier geinstalleerd wordt(één disk beschikbaar) dat die dan na verloop van tijd een partitie op een andere schijf gaat gebruiken(in dit geval verklooien) dit enkel met win10 want gebruik die weliswaar omslachtige methode al 10-tal jaren zonder problemen.
Het volgende zie ik ook niet hoe je daar bijkomt >>In het bovenstaand plaatje is schijf 0 partitie F: gebruikt door W10<<
Volgens mij is die enkel gebruikt door win7 op de SSD.

Wat me nu wel juist opvalt als ik de screenshots vergelijk de SSD zit blijkbaar de ene keer op disk o en de vorige keer op disk1 hetzelfde voor de win7 disk eens op "0" andere keer op 2..of zal afhankelijk zijn met welk ik opstart zeker ?

Alvast bedankt voor het meedenken
grts

Translation from Moderator:

Hello, you see almost all correct.
Standard start it on win7 on disc two, I want something else through F12.

CHKDSK started only after i use win10 on disk1, and only with Win 7 on disk2
The win7 on disk 0 has no CHKDSK problem the SSD

<<< Partitions 'System-reserved' each one corresponding to a single OS and should have no drive letter if another OS is booted. And I see three OS versions and only two "reserved by system 'nl Disk 0 and 2. That should give conflict. <<

Here I follow not ...... I see only one partition "reserved by the system" and so on the SSD and which is created by himself in win7 installed on the SSD. (And that have no problems)
I couple always install an OS other discs loose, me difficult to imagine if you have done a complete install to "single drive" the other disconnected, which then over time as a disc recovers the same way is installed (one disc available) that then over time will use a partition on another disk (fuck up in this case) so only with win10 because usage which, although cumbersome method for 10-odd years without problems.
The next I do not see how it recovers >> In the above picture is Disk 0 Partition F: used by W10 <<
I think that just used by win7 on the SSD.

What strikes me now just when I compare the screenshots SSD is apparently one time on disc o and the last time on disk1 same for the win7 disk once "0" another time 2..of will depend on what I certainly start?

Thanks for thinking
grts

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, reading english works, if not i try translating>google.
Writing and technical terms are not so easy for me, sorry..i do my best :)

Back
Top Bottom