Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Windows 10 CHKDSK on Win 10 works incompatibly with Win 7?

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
This is extremely aggravating and puzzling: I have both Windows 10 Pro (build 1703) and Windows 7 Pro (service pack 2 with the latest updates) installed on different NTFS disks/partitions on the same computer (actually, I have two computers with both installed). Here's the aggravating problem: If I first boot Windows 10 and then boot into Windows 7, I get "Disk needs to be checked for inconsistency" and runs CHKDSK on most, if not all, of my dozen disks & partitions. While doing so, it always finds numerous errors and repairs them. When all those CHKDSKs are finally done (after at least 15 minutes) it usually automatically reboots and again I get lots of "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs (not all of which find anything wrong). If I keep rebooting Win 7 without ever booting Win 10, eventually it boots cleanly without any "inconsistency" errors or CHKDSKs.

But after Windows 7 boots without any CHKDSK problems, if I then boot into Windows 10, it produces a dozen "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs and finds and corrects a great many NTFS errors! Eventually, as I described above regarding Windows 7, Windows 10 will boot without errors or CHKDSK runs. But if I then boot into Windows 7, the whole aggravating, absurd, annoying inconsistency errors and CHKDSK runs start all over again!

It seems to me that this means that Windows 7 CHKDSK is utterly incompatible with Windows 10 CHKDSK (at least for NTFS volumes)! AARG!

Is this a known and acknowledged problem? Or is this situation unique to me? Please help

ETA: By the way, I disabled Fast Boot and any other "Fast" options in my computer's BIOS (ASUS Z97-A) a long time ago. (Apparently, if Fast Boot is enabled, it might have produced some errors like this.)

Last edited:
From Windows XP on the ntfs version has been NTFS v3.1 so fundamentally Windows 7 and Windows 10 use the same filesystem. That's not to say there a differences between 7 and 10 with regards to chkdsk functionality or other subsystem behavior that could cause this . When in doubt use the newer version on all disks/partitions as they tend to be backwards compatible.

Can you list what type of inconsistencies you are encountering?

Also have you run a DFT on the disks to check for problems with the disk(s)?

Back