Windows 10 CHKDSK on Win 10 works incompatibly with Win 7?

Ninethe

Extraordinary Member
This is extremely aggravating and puzzling: I have both Windows 10 Pro (build 1703) and Windows 7 Pro (service pack 2 with the latest updates) installed on different NTFS disks/partitions on the same computer (actually, I have two computers with both installed). Here's the aggravating problem: If I first boot Windows 10 and then boot into Windows 7, I get "Disk needs to be checked for inconsistency" and runs CHKDSK on most, if not all, of my dozen disks & partitions. While doing so, it always finds numerous errors and repairs them. When all those CHKDSKs are finally done (after at least 15 minutes) it usually automatically reboots and again I get lots of "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs (not all of which find anything wrong). If I keep rebooting Win 7 without ever booting Win 10, eventually it boots cleanly without any "inconsistency" errors or CHKDSKs.

But after Windows 7 boots without any CHKDSK problems, if I then boot into Windows 10, it produces a dozen "inconsistency" errors and CHKDSK runs and finds and corrects a great many NTFS errors! Eventually, as I described above regarding Windows 7, Windows 10 will boot without errors or CHKDSK runs. But if I then boot into Windows 7, the whole aggravating, absurd, annoying inconsistency errors and CHKDSK runs start all over again!

It seems to me that this means that Windows 7 CHKDSK is utterly incompatible with Windows 10 CHKDSK (at least for NTFS volumes)! AARG!

Is this a known and acknowledged problem? Or is this situation unique to me? Please help

ETA: By the way, I disabled Fast Boot and any other "Fast" options in my computer's BIOS (ASUS Z97-A) a long time ago. (Apparently, if Fast Boot is enabled, it might have produced some errors like this.)

Last edited:
From Windows XP on the ntfs version has been NTFS v3.1 so fundamentally Windows 7 and Windows 10 use the same filesystem. That's not to say there a differences between 7 and 10 with regards to chkdsk functionality or other subsystem behavior that could cause this . When in doubt use the newer version on all disks/partitions as they tend to be backwards compatible.

Can you list what type of inconsistencies you are encountering?

Also have you run a DFT on the disks to check for problems with the disk(s)?

Back
Top Bottom