Windows 7 chkdsk running everytime I reboot and any changes I make arent saved

Frank Stein

I'm trying to fix an office computer that someone used before me. The PC is running Windows 7 Home premium (service pack 1) 64 bit.

There are two major problems with it that I believe are connected or caused by the same issue.

Here is what happened: I started deleting programs from the computer (through Windows control panel) and removing various files off the desktop and rearranging things to my liking. I rebooted to make some of the uninstalls take effect and when I did chkdsk started running. I stopped it from running and when windows restarted everything I had uninstalled and deleted was back, exactly where it was when I first started using the pc.

I uninstalled and deleted everything again, restarted the computer and the exact same thing happened. chkdsk tried to run (I stopped it again as I don't have time to let it run) and all the programs and files were back where they started.

I looked to see if my drive was dirty (command prompt fsutil dirty query c: and it told me it wasn't.
Then I tried to stop the schedule scan from starting on boot (command prompt chkntfs x/ c: and got the message "the type of the file system is NTFS".

I even changed settings in the registry to stop the scan from running at boot but nothing is working.

I deleted all system restore points, thinking the computer might be using one of them every time it reboots to put back everything I've deleted and that didn't work.

I'm not sure what else to do. I've run malware scans and virus scans, deleted whatever it found and when I reboot...everything is exactly how it was before I every got my hands on the computer.

Any help would be great.

I would probably let chkdsk finish to see what happens.

Is this computer part of a work environment? It almost sounds like it is doing a System Reset when you reboot and re-imaging the drive... Maybe delete something simple to test if it will hold just by itself.

Any association with Windows 8 at all, such as a dual boot setup?

Back