Windows 7 Chronic restart on shutdown

gregrocker

I have been troubleshooting an issue for a week where the p.c. goes through normal quick shutdown process but just restarts instead of shutting down..

It started after I clean installed 7100 on an old Gateway that had been running 7000 fine for 3 months. WHen it became impossible to fix I reverted to XP and it continues. Several search results mention audio, but I figure if it is audio or any other failure to terminate it would show in the Performance Events Log, which it doesn't. Also since shutdown starts straightaway from Start Menu or Power Button and then quickly moves to restart without pausing at all on the desktop, I figure it isn't a failure to terminate a service but something deeper in hardware or the bios, esp since it persists in the XP reinstall. So I set BIOS back to defaults and tested hardware.

But it grows even more confounding when I did a HD diagnostics from bootable GWScan disk and then navigated to exit and the computer shut down instantly using power button from the boot mode, which seems to say the hardware is working fine. WTF?

I had a similar problem with my old pc. It started about a year ago out of nowhere. The only way to shut it down was to turn off the power supply or pull the plug. About two months ago my power supply died. Not sure it's the same issue though since I was having other issues. Two ethernet cards, two USB ports, and a hard drive failed during the same time, so I suspected something was wrong with the PSU.

Last edited:
I had a similar problem with my old pc. It started about a year ago out of nowhere. The only way to shut it down was to turn off the power supply or pull the plug. About two months ago my power supply died. Not sure it's the same issue though since I was having other issues. Two ethernet cards, two USB ports, and a hard drive failed during the same time, so I suspected something was wrong with the PSU.

So nothing to do with windows 7 then . Why you put this up here then ?
This is a windows 7 forum .

Yeah I wanna get Win7 RC back on this Gateway asap, since it ran so good we use it in the office with Quickbooks with only 528mb ram! However I am also mindful that Gateway has a long issue (up to the T5000's) of underpowered PSU, so does anyone think that it could be a power issue on this, and is there a way to troubleshoot that? I still think that having it shut down straightaway using the power button while in boot mode eliminates it being hardware, since the issue seems to be something in the signal sent to shutdown Windows which instead restarts it.

So nothing to do with windows 7 then . Why you put this up here then ?
This is a windows 7 forum .

Why not? Just trying to help answer a question. His problem doesn't sound like a win 7 issue if it's still a problem after reinstalling xp. In my case it was the PSU.

Back