Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

reghacker i am glad to see that you are making progress on your hack even though i am against the classic start menu. Everyone should have a choice. Can you send me the files you have created so far and maybe i can help figure out how to finish them? My email is [email protected]

Well, i would if I had them.

I had some many different versions with different hacks and different file sizes, I was so confused:confused:, so I deleted all of them and decided to start over from scratch.

I will be working on it, but it is truly a time consuming project with a lot of trial and error.

I had to do everything through the command prompt as I'm sure you're aware that you can't rename or replace system files anywhere other than this. I thought I hosed my system once, when I restarted, Windows said it couldn't locate shell32.dll. So I went back into the command prompt and after doing a dir /p in the system 32 directory, I realized I hadn't renamed one version to shell32.dll. I kept renaming the files, so I always had a way out.

By the way, if anyone is going to attempt this, note that when you go into the command prompt, you are in a drive called X:. You need to cd to C:, then cd to Windows and then system32.

Im glad to see your at least trying if you need any help along the way feel free to ask.

iroken22,

Thanks, will do.

How are you at editing xml files?

Do you have any experience with Resource Hacker . If not, it can be downloaded here:

Resource Hacker

There's also a new script creator (which I haven't even tried yet). It can be downloded here:
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Reshacker_Script_Creator/1165510972/1

There's also another nice freeware resource editor named XN resource editor.

It can be downloaded here:
Link Removed - Invalid URL

To get a good idea of how powerful these apps are, visit this page:
http://www.merawindows.com/Forums/tabid/324/forumid/15/threadid/6104/scope/posts/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Can u maybe redo the dlls u did already and let me take a look at them cause it seemed like you were on the right path it just needed some straightening out?

Thanks one of the reasons the start button may not appear is because of the newly made taskbar and there may be some code that is their that wasnt their before. I will let you know if anything appears.

Although I'm still working the the Classic View hack, I couldn't resist the temptation to get Dreamscene running on Windows 7

the picture you're about to view was a 18MB avi file which I converted to Shockwave Flash resulting in a 5MB size. The picture doesn't do it justice at all. Viewing it on the original PC is incredible. It flows perfectly with no jerky movements whatsoever.

The link does not work properly by clicking on it, you'll have to copy and paste the link into your browser.

Link Removed - Invalid URL

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys -- is there any equivalent for W7 X-64 to "Windowblinds" on XP -- with this you could do all sorts of stuff.

I've even got a Windows XP machine showing the W7 animation on startup -- get some real strange looks after the XP macjine starts :razz::razz:.

Cheers

jimbo

kirtiraj even though there is a place to check it it will not work because windows 7 doesnt not contain the code like vista did. So basically it will still show up as the start menu in windows 7 does. Im sorry.

Hi guys.
Just a though, ignore as required.
Perhaps this thread could be closed. It has drifted way off the title and maybe some members are missing discussion of other subjects in here?
For the title, if you visit the Technet forums, you will see that it looks very much as though MS will reintoduce the Classic as an option.

This is a huge breaker for me. I like how in Vista Ult. I could change back to the Classic XP look (not the ugly blue/green shit, but the real classic look) I don't know why I bought it, but that's how I had Vista looking since the first install of it. I like minimalistic things, I'm currently looking into removing the desktop and using something like BB4WIN so that I can get my Linux look in Windows 7 and still play my games, that's the only reason I'm here, for gaming lol.

I guess I just don't get it. Why would anyone want to have a start menu that looks like Windows '98 ?? I want to get as far away from that look as possible. I think the new look is great !!

:)

Most all computer geeks I know prefer it because it's minimalistic. I'm not one that usually likes eyecandy shit. Though I do come from Arch Linux where I've set it to no desktop icons, no taskbar, just a plain terminal. It's could also be because the Classic look is far superior to the new fancy eye candy look.

Because different people want different things.

djwayne, the reason that people prefer different "things" (GUIs, applications, etc.) on their computers is for the same reason that two people who may live in the same district (part of town) and work in the same district may drive entirely different automobiles to work. Different people just have different preferences. It is the automobile manufacturer's responsibility to produce the preferred automobile for each buyer, not to dictate to the buyer what they should like and want. Likewise, it is the computer OS developer's responsibility to produce a product that meets the user's (buyer's) preference if they want to sell the product.

The fact that one of these theoretical neighbors prefers to drive a Ford Explorer and the other, a Volkswagen Beetle doesn't make either one of them a good or bad person. "Different strokes for different folks"

I guess I just don't get it. .... I think the new look is great !!:)

Sorry djwayne, that is your view. Other folk have other views and the opinions of other folk are just as valid as yours.
I think Classic is great. I urge you to accept another person's opinion. But no. You won't, will you? ;)

If it were up to me, I'd let you have your Classic Start Menu. But I just happen to think that there are more important things in the world to worry about than a stupid classic start menu.

I just have a hard time believing you people are so upset about this. Geeezz !!!

Classic Theme is just hot, who can't not like it?

I did figure out how to get the classic theme back though. If you right click on the desktop and click personalize and go to themes. It's under the high contrast themes. It's not exactly like the original classic theme, but good enough.

I don't like it... the classic look just reminds of Windows '98 and all the problems I had with that. I'm glad to be done with it. I'll take XP, Vista, or Windows 7 any day over the W'98 look. ugggg.

:)

Back