Windows 7 Classic Start Menu

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN WINDOWS 7 TO MAKE THE START MENU BACK TO CLASSIC. THE NEW START MENU IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THAT OF OLD AND MICROSOFT KNOWS THAT.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY IN WINDOWS 7 TO MAKE THE START MENU BACK TO CLASSIC. THE NEW START MENU IS FAR SUPERIOR TO THAT OF OLD AND MICROSOFT KNOWS THAT.
Dude, it's about the USERS experience. WHAT THE USERS wants to experience. If I, as a user want to have the classic start menu, I should have the opportunity to have the classic. I should not be FORCED to use something I don't like.

Microsoft is moving everyone into the 21st century with a new start menu. They have made this decision for the betterment of all of us. Once a user learns how to use the new start menu 99% of the time he/she likes it better.

Gosh once again here is kyle coming to the rescue. We dont need to get in an arguement over this i was just stating the point microsoft did. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though and i repsect that.

Its simple, don't use se7en or simply wait for a 3rd party program that changes the menu to a classic menu.

The new menu isn't even really that different anyways.

Or MS could just listen to it's users.

Its simple, don't use se7en or simply wait for a 3rd party program that changes the menu to a classic menu.

The new menu isn't even really that different anyways.

OR, it could be even more simple if MS would stop screwing things up for the users. Let US decide. LISTEN TO YOUR USERS MICROSOFT!!:mad:

Well, that's understandable, but why remove the classic start menu all together? There are user whom still like the classic. SysAdmins love the classic menu.

They removed the old start menu because it is actually more code to make it then it is to make the new one. The old one also doesnt run as efficiently as the new one does.

The settings for the Classic Start menu are held within the shell32.dll file and they have removed the references to the Classic Start menu in that file,

Simple as that.

And actually there's less code, because they stipped it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of Classic menu option

Many of us who have been using Windows since before v3.1 (yes I actually used Windows 1.0) are "keyboard" people. We don't rely on mouse clicks, we use keyboard shortcuts and memorized keyboard patterns to get to the programs we want swiftly and efficiently. Not having a clean, straight forward menuing system is a huge drawback. Why do you think the Classic Menu for Office 2007 is so overwhelmingly popular? I just don't want Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter dictating to me what I have to use as a menu. I don't care about ugly. I care about efficient and fast results. If I wanted a Mac I would have bought a Mac. Gimme back my classic menu anyday! I want substance not fluff!

Many of us who have been using Windows since before v3.1 (yes I actually used Windows 1.0) are "keyboard" people. We don't rely on mouse clicks, we use keyboard shortcuts and memorized keyboard patterns to get to the programs we want swiftly and efficiently. Not having a clean, straight forward menuing system is a huge drawback. Why do you think the Classic Menu for Office 2007 is so overwhelmingly popular? I just don't want Microsoft, or anyone else for that matter dictating to me what I have to use as a menu. I don't care about ugly. I care about efficient and fast results. If I wanted a Mac I would have bought a Mac. Gimme back my classic menu anyday! I want substance not fluff!
Winkey + *type program here* +Enter opens programs with the keyboard. It's not about a lack of functionality, it's that you just have to adjust to the new setup.

Ghedberg, I completely agree with you! To the people arguing with us about this: stop telling us that MS has decided to take this out. We already know this. We are just trying to keep MS from making us use something we don't want to use. For those of us whom have used Microsofts operating systems since Windows 3.1 - we are obviously faithful users and should have a say in what we are going to use for years to come.

Here's the argument I am going to make for the new start menu. What was the number one thing peopled cursed about in Windows VISTA????

Answer: The cluttered and unecessary background processes that took up lots of memory. Second of course was incompatibility. But what is one way to get rid of the cluttered stuff in an OS? It is to Remove features that are no longer very popular. They have done this immensely in windows 7 and it shows immensely in the performance of the system. You know as the old saying goes "Every good thing must come to an end", and finally windows has brought the classic start menu to an end. There are two things you can do now:

1. Accept the new Start Menu and Move on to learn it. OR
  2. Keep complaining about a feature that microsoft made clear at PDC that "NO MATTER WHAT" They are not including in windows 7. Please move on and accept what microsoft said.
Microsoft employees made it clear at PDC that they arent including the classic start menu because the also had a study done that like 85% of people like the new start menu better.

Im not saying your not entitled to curse and complain i am just offering what microsoft said. Everyone has an opinion and everyones opinion counts. I dont want to get in a fist fight but i amtrying to find reasoning for why they did it and i believe i have.

Last edited:
Back