Windows 7 Clean Install=no more office. PLEASE HELP

jason123

I installed Windows 7 and dont have Microsoft Office anymore. I chose clean install and the install was not clean, it changed my old system files and office into a file called windows.old. I can access this file from command prompt but do not know how to reinstall microsoft office. Does anyone know how i can retrieve office? I can reinstall vista, norton and office that came as a package deal from hp and then do a upgrade install of windows 7 because it wasnt clean anyway, but that would be very time consuming and im not sure it would work. PLEASE HELP!

You didn't do a clean install or you would have evidence of Microsoft Office. You'll just have to install it. I don't know how to get it out of windows.old but it that is a folder maybe you can find your origninal install program. Or maybe you can just download Office from Microsoft.

office

what version of Office? Had you paid for it? If so, you should have an install disc or saved a downloaded installer somewhere away from that machine.

look for microsoft or office folders in windows.old. find "install.exe" or "setup.exe" files. don't just run 'em at random.....right click for properties and see what they're going to install. if you luck out and find the installer for Office, back it up. It's very possible you will. I thought I was totally screwed with my Maxtor external drive, but found the manager software in windows.old.

if all this fails, download the Office 2007 60-day trial.

or, barring any of the above, install and use Open Office. I had always been curious about it, and it's very good. and free as a bird.

speaking of birds, happy thanksgiving

You didn't do a clean install or you would have evidence of Microsoft Office. You'll just have to install it. I don't know how to get it out of windows.old but it that is a folder maybe you can find your origninal install program. Or maybe you can just download Office from Microsoft.

Maybe he should have read the pop up messages more carefully. I think, if you do a clean install, ( rather than "upgrade" - another area of confusion) and select customised option then elect to make your "clean" install over an existing OS, it pops up with a message saying something like "The Partition you have selected may contain files from a previous version. These will be moved to a folder named "Windows.Old" (or something similar!).

I believe Drew is correct and the only ting in the windows.old directory are system files. of no use at all.

This isn't all that's in there. All user files are also in there. I always just cut and paste them over to a installation instead of backing up, fast, clean, easy.
:D

This isn't all that's in there. All user files are also in there. I always just cut and paste them over to a installation instead of backing up, fast, clean, easy.
:D
If you downloaded it maybe the installer is still in a folder somewhere in Windows.old. If so you might copy it to a folder of your choice and install it. Of course you'd need the product key.

Back