Windows 7 Clean install Or Upgrade only

Drew,

Your friend is saying "generally" and what you do with XP and Vista installs.

He does not specifically say what you do to install 7 to a blank HD.

It might be that you just need to show it a qualifying version on cd/dvd - but no one has categorically said so.

MS employee Harold Wong stated on his blog some months ago that a qualifying version on cd/dvd would do - then he withdrew the statement.

It is sensible for MS not to broadcast how to do it - they want people to buy the Full version.

I think you are right about Microsoft wanting chumpts to purchase the full version. Here's a reply I received from someone at Microsoft who got the "straight scoop" from Presales and tech support:

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Windows 7 Upgrade.
I contacted the presales and licensing department to get the most accurate answer for your regarding the OS instalation. According to them, the information you recieved in the previous e-mail is correct. If you are installing a Windows & Upgrade the machine will need to have a pre-existing OS on it in order for the upgrade to install. The software does not ask for proof of an OS, but instead will not install if one is not found. If you have a full version disk of Windows 7 you will be able to download this to a formated hard drive.

I guess we'll see who is lying on the 23rd!
Emil

I know from personal experience that a clean install can be done with upgrade copy. My copy of XP was only an upgrade version. When I wanted to do a clean install on a blank HDD, it would look for previous windows installations and when it couldn't find any, I would just stick an old '98 disk in that I'd found. The install would then proceed.
If I didn't have that disk though, that would be it.. no install.

I know from personal experience that a clean install can be done with upgrade copy. My copy of XP was only an upgrade version. When I wanted to do a clean install on a blank HDD, it would look for previous windows installations and when it couldn't find any, I would just stick an old '98 disk in that I'd found. The install would then proceed.
If I didn't have that disk though, that would be it.. no install.

According to a Microsoft spokesperson, this has changed with Windows 7. Here's the response I got when I asked about the install procedure:

I contacted the presales and licensing department to get the most accurate answer for your regarding the OS instalation. According to them, the information you recieved in the previous e-mail is correct. If you are installing a Windows & Upgrade the machine will need to have a pre-existing OS on it in order for the upgrade to install. The software does not ask for proof of an OS, but instead will not install if one is not found. If you have a full version disk of Windows 7 you will be able to download this to a formated hard drive. If you require it, our technical supportteam can be contacted at (800) 936-5800 24/7. You can also contact our Presales and Licensing Department for licensing information at (800) 426-9400, Monday - Friday, 6:00am to 6:00pm PST.
Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

So, upgrading by putting in a Win 7 upgrade disc with a formatted apparently ain't going to hack it this time around. You will have to have a copy of XP or Vista on your computer to make the upgrade.

Guys, I can now shed a bit of light on this...

I have recently talked w/ a couple more folks that I know inside Microsoft. "It is felt that this ability has existed in Operating Systems & there is no expectation that will change".
(Includes Windows 7)

There is no hesition to discuss it nor any attempt to discourage or deny it.

Clean can be done w/ Upgrade media (period).

Cheers,
Drew

Drew,
Here's an e-mail from "Alexis" of Microsoft I received yesterday:

I contacted the presales and licensing department to get the most accurate answer for your regarding the OS instalation. According to them, the information you recieved in the previous e-mail is correct. If you are installing a Windows & Upgrade the machine will need to have a pre-existing OS on it in order for the upgrade to install. The software does not ask for proof of an OS, but instead will not install if one is not found. If you have a full version disk of Windows 7 you will be able to download this to a formated hard drive.

I guess we'll see who is lying or is confused about this situtation on the 23rd!
Emil

According to a Microsoft spokesperson, this has changed with Windows 7. Here's the response I got when I asked about the install procedure:

I contacted the presales and licensing department to get the most accurate answer for your regarding the OS instalation. According to them, the information you recieved in the previous e-mail is correct. If you are installing a Windows & Upgrade the machine will need to have a pre-existing OS on it in order for the upgrade to install. The software does not ask for proof of an OS, but instead will not install if one is not found. If you have a full version disk of Windows 7 you will be able to download this to a formated hard drive. If you require it, our technical supportteam can be contacted at (800) 936-5800 24/7. You can also contact our Presales and Licensing Department for licensing information at (800) 426-9400, Monday - Friday, 6:00am to 6:00pm PST.
Thank you for contacting Microsoft.

So, upgrading by putting in a Win 7 upgrade disc with a formatted apparently ain't going to hack it this time around. You will have to have a copy of XP or Vista on your computer to make the upgrade.

Really? Oh well, one more thing to remember lol...:)

Put 7 in as "Custom", don't activate, then do again as Upgrade.

Exactly! Which is what I've been saying all along.. And I have done this with an Upgrade version of Windows 7 that I was able to obtain through my connections in Microsoft.. So like I said in a previous post, unless Microsoft releases a patch or does something in a later Service Pack to prevent this "trick", it WILL and DOES work.. Period! ;)

So, 7 will start installation on a fully-formated drive as soon as it's inserted and the BIOS is changed to DVD, first boot device? Then Alexis is being, shall we say, less than honest in her reply?

Exactly! Which is what I've been saying all along.. And I have done this with an Upgrade version of Windows 7 that I was able to obtain through my connections in Microsoft.. So like I said in a previous post, unless Microsoft releases a patch or does something in a later Service Pack to prevent this "trick", it WILL and DOES work.. Period! ;)
Thanks for clarifying.... there have been both pros and cons posts all over the internet about this.

So, 7 will start installation on a fully-formated drive as soon as it's inserted and the BIOS is changed to DVD, first boot device? Then Alexis is being, shall we say, less than honest in her reply?

This is one of those instances where MS isn't going to come right out and say "Yes, this 'trick' will work".. ;) It wouldn't be very smart on their behalf if they did say that.. :)

prediction

I'm going to make a bold prediction here.

Remember I have NOT seen an UPGRADE version of win 7.. I am just GUESSING based on what people have said about making a clean install with the upgrade

I'm convinced you can take an ISO of the Windows 7 restore cd... the one that is made when you select Backup and Create a restore disk. (very small .. only about 5 files on the restore cd but it will boot to the command prompt... from a disk OR from USB.

Burn the iso to a disk or simply copy the files to a usb.

Set your bios boot priorities and boot to the restore and stop the scanning and go to the command prompt and put in the Upgrade disk and run the setup.... and select Custom and do a clean install. If it wants some old instal cd.. just eject it and put it back in.

Yes.. I think they are that lazy.

Geeks of all abilities will probably discover all sorts of ways around this installation procedure that Alexis of Microsoft insists is the one and only. As Drew states, Microsoft isn't about to reveal ANYTHING about shortcuts or different install procedures that will affect their bottom line. As I said previously, there's a reason why Bill Gates is still the richest man on the planet ;>).

Can some one verify this once the OS is released on Thursday? I'd hate to buy it and get boned if this "trick" is disabled!

Thanks! :D

I unfortunately can't perform the Windows 7 install using this method, because I'm waiting to build an i7 rig, and I can't do that for at least 3 weeks when I get paid from a job I got (3 pay checks). I'll try it, and will indeed post back.

I installed Windows 7 Upgrade (clean install) on a newly formatted harddrive that was clean. Uncheck the Update Windows and uncheck the Activate Windows. Do not enter the CD License key yet. Once it is installed you can then Activate Windows and insert the CD Key at that time. No fuss, no muss,
Yes, I have Windows XP and Vista Ultimate. Did not need to show Windows 7 I had them.

I installed Windows 7 Upgrade (clean install) on a newly formatted harddrive that was clean. Uncheck the Update Windows and uncheck the Activate Windows. Do not enter the CD License key yet. Once it is installed you can then Activate Windows and insert the CD Key at that time. No fuss, no muss,
Yes, I have Windows XP and Vista Ultimate. Did not need to show Windows 7 I had them.

Any other HD's attached to the pc at the time?

I'm going to make a bold prediction here.

Remember I have NOT seen an UPGRADE version of win 7.. I am just GUESSING based on what people have said about making a clean install with the upgrade

I'm convinced you can take an ISO of the Windows 7 restore cd... the one that is made when you select Backup and Create a restore disk. (very small .. only about 5 files on the restore cd but it will boot to the command prompt... from a disk OR from USB.

Burn the iso to a disk or simply copy the files to a usb.

Set your bios boot priorities and boot to the restore and stop the scanning and go to the command prompt and put in the Upgrade disk and run the setup.... and select Custom and do a clean install. If it wants some old instal cd.. just eject it and put it back in.

Yes.. I think they are that lazy.

Now we know the update disks and downloads will install a clean version.

We also have full versions ISO download links directly from Microsoft. (my last blog)

The only restriction is that the upgrade keys won't activate the full version without some tweaks.

The easiest method I have found is to simply delete ei.cfg from the ISO full version before you burn it.. then when it installs it asks which version to install. You must tell it to install the version you have a key for.... then it will accept your upgrade key and activate first time.... without registry hacks and rearm and rebooting.

UPgrade

u r best getting the full version and doing a clean install,that way u have a clean drive and get rid of all the junk,i dont think u can do a clean install from an upgrade dvd/cdrom,(i could b wrong) xp HAS to be clean install so if ur running xp save all ur files and folders,or if dual booting make sure xp is 1st by defualt os,DO NO MAKE W7 UR FIRST BOOT OS

Back