Windows 10 [CMD] Program not recognised

GTXPlayer

I have a simple but annoying issue which is that the program I'm trying to open Is not recognised as a program or executable file.

Note; I need to start the program while only using it's executable file name, because I'm trying to find Target Commands which I was told you can do by using;
Program.exe /help OR Program.exe -help

I can run the executable by using quotes to support spaces in the dir path, but I can't use the Dir path for this :(

Any help is appreciated, thanks :)

Hi,
What is the name of the program, exactly? What does it do?

Next, have you checked if the program is Win8.1 compatible? Most programs (with a few exceptions) will run on Win10 if it's coded to work with Win8.1 OS platform.

If it's not Win8.1 compatible, you may have to contact the website or author of the program to find out when and if a Win8.1/10 version will be out.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Hi,
What is the name of the program, exactly? What does it do?

Next, have you checked if the program is Win8.1 compatible? Most programs (with a few exceptions) will run on Win10 if it's coded to work with Win8.1 OS platform.

If it's not Win8.1 compatible, you may have to contact the website or author of the program to find out when and if a Win8.1/10 version will be out.

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>
I think you misunderstood what my problem is, due to my bad wording of the issue. The Program is not recognised only in CMD.

I now have the error message "DNS server not authoritative for zone " when I try to type in certain commands. No idea why. Also, the program is available on my version of Windows (10).

Nope. I understood the issue. And we still need to know the name of the program and what it does to try and provide you an answer. Did you have the same error when you ran the CMD prompt in Administrative Mode?? Many programs do not allow command line launches and switch options with Win8.1/Win10 as a 16-bit process. So, if you have a graphics program on an online Game, and you are trying to launch it in Protected Mode (that's what you do when you open a CMD prompt window; also called DOS mode), those programs aren't allowed access by the Windows HAL kernel in 16-bit mode UNLESS you attempt to access it in 16-bit Protected Mode. Many older Graphics and Games do not support 16-bit Protected Mode, so you have to force Windows to run that mode; and even then if their Windows .dll version which you normally launch from the Start Menu works, that doesn't mean the CMD version can or will work on the new Win8.x/10 version Protected Mode version.

Just because your Start menu version of the program runs in Standard Mode on Win10 doesn't mean it's Win8.x/10 compatible. That was a question that would require you to look at the box the program came in or the website you downloaded it from. The DNS error probably has to do with switches you are entering in the CMD prompt mode that need to communicate with the server that Program authenticates to or with, and is not able to do so from a Protected Mode 16-bit window. Again, try your Commands from a CMD window using Administrator Mode (right-click). If they still do not work, then that program most likely was never upgraded properly by the author for Win8.x/10 as I indicated. The fact remains that just because you THINK it's working, doesn't mean it's completely compatible or tested for Win8.x/10 environment.

<<<BBJ>>>

Nope. I understood the issue. And we still need to know the name of the program and what it does to try and provide you an answer. Did you have the same error when you ran the CMD prompt in Administrative Mode?? Many programs do not allow command line launches and switch options with Win8.1/Win10 as a 16-bit process. So, if you have a graphics program on an online Game, and you are trying to launch it in Protected Mode (that's what you do when you open a CMD prompt window; also called DOS mode), those programs aren't allowed access by the Windows HAL kernel in 16-bit mode UNLESS you attempt to access it in 16-bit Protected Mode. Many older Graphics and Games do not support 16-bit Protected Mode, so you have to force Windows to run that mode; and even then if their Windows .dll version which you normally launch from the Start Menu works, that doesn't mean the CMD version can or will work on the new Win8.x/10 version Protected Mode version.

Just because your Start menu version of the program runs in Standard Mode on Win10 doesn't mean it's Win8.x/10 compatible. That was a question that would require you to look at the box the program came in or the website you downloaded it from. The DNS error probably has to do with switches you are entering in the CMD prompt mode that need to communicate with the server that Program authenticates to or with, and is not able to do so from a Protected Mode 16-bit window. Again, try your Commands from a CMD window using Administrator Mode (right-click). If they still do not work, then that program most likely was never upgraded properly by the author for Win8.x/10 as I indicated. The fact remains that just because you THINK it's working, doesn't mean it's completely compatible or tested for Win8.x/10 environment.

<<<BBJ>>>

The name of the program is "WorldOfTanks.exe". And yes, I still have the same issue when I run it in CMD.

I'm pretty sure I already told you that Windows 10 can run this application, so no, I didn't just make it up from the top of my head. The game is listed on their site to be Windows 10 compatible. If it wasn't, then it probably wouldn't work. (It runs on a 10+ year old engine. I guess the game just doesn't work with the 16-bit mode.

Back
Top Bottom