Windows 7 COD 4 - multiplayer - unknown windows api

mcisko

Hello. I've installed the beta version of Windows 7 and I am satisfied done. It is fast like Vista and it appears the same or even better. I've installed the call of duty 4 ub the single player everything is OK, but when I want to play multiplayer over the Internet punk busted show error Unknown Windows API function (131136 and 131134). if someone has a solution for this problem.

No sorry i have been banging my head myself trying to get pb working with w7. On some servers i have played for some time but sooner or later i always get the "unknown windows API" error" kick. The fact is i just love windows 7 and id use it all the time if it wasnt for this stupid pb-thing. So when i play online i switch to xp.

Thank you for your response. I'm return to Vista until the final version of Windows 7th go out. too bad becose PB has no support for this operating system, because it certainly is fairer than XP and faster than Vista;):))..

btw ehere are u from.

i got windows7 build 7000 32bit to work just fine but build 7100 is not working for me and 64 bit i haveny gotten to work at all.
i just cant believe punkbuster is this lame that they will not fix the issue.
all they will tell you is to bad they dont support windows7.
talk about throwing yu to the wolves.

This only way I can play COD 4 on Widnows 7 RC x64

I wrote a piece of powershell that keeps resettign the reg entry for pnkbstrb service.
As part A re-installs part b the key is reset often as you play. I still get kicked but I have been able to play for an extended period of time using this method. (over an hour)
------start code------
Do {
$pnkchk=Get-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\PnkBstrB\" -Name "Type"
if ($pnkchk.Type -eq 16) {Set-ItemProperty "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\PnkBstrB\" -Name "Type" -Value "272"}
else {
Sleep 2}} while (1 -eq 1)

----end code------
yep it's a big nasty loop but it works for me till someone fixes punkbuster.

Last edited:
It is so much less complicated than anyone even knows. All you have to do is start the game, go to your task manager > Processes, find pnkbstrA and pnkbstrB, right click on them. Select "properties", then click the compatibility tab. Select "run this program in compatability mode for vista sp1. You are done. Enjoy the game.

There is absolutely no need to hack registry files to make it work.

I have many installs of both 32bit and 64bit, and this works on both versions with CoD4 and CoD5 both.

It is so much less complicated than anyone even knows. All you have to do is start the game, go to your task manager > Processes, find pnkbstrA and pnkbstrB, right click on them. Select "properties", then click the compatibility tab. Select "run this program in compatability mode for vista sp1. You are done. Enjoy the game.

There is absolutely no need to hack registry files to make it work.

I have many installs of both 32bit and 64bit, and this works on both versions with CoD4 and CoD5 both.

I wish it was that simple mate. And besides they are services arent they?

I would love it to be that simple as well, but I've already set the exes up in compatabliity mode and when I check the running process they are in vista sp1 mode and still fail. :(

Oh man, that sucks. :frown: I wonder why things like this work for some people and not others, when we are all running the same OS and the same software.

I went out today and purchased COD 5 (world at war) and it plays perfectly in Windows 7.
COD 4 still crashes if I don't keep re-setting the regkey but looks like I play World at WAR till punkbuster it fixed.

I wrote a piece of powershell that keeps resettign the reg entry for pnkbstrb service.
"HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\PnkBstrB\" -Name "Type" -Value

I changed manually this key to "212" and set permissions to all users to read only, work for me. Im playing for 2 hours without a kick, thanks! :p:p

I just had a 2 hr session on cod4 using x64 7. I updated my PB and it seems to work fine now in the RC

Back