Windows 7 COM Surrogate error

Tyrant

Good night to all,

I recently began experiencing the "COM Surrogate" error while opening up pretty much all pictures with Microsoft "Windows Photo Viewer"

I'm attaching a screenshot.

I found millions of suggestions online (codecs, Adobe CS3, CS4) but none seem to be working (and most wont work on a 64 bits OS).

Please help, this has seriously affected my ability to browse pictures / videos.

My system specs can be seen in my profile (I'm Using Windows 7 64bits).

Thanks in advance, regards,

Leo.

Attachments

• com surrogate error.jpg
    com surrogate error.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 1,369
If it's a Seagate 7600.11 drive you had better upgrade the firmware. Google Seagate Bricking and read up. I had a hell of a time getting my Seagate drive fixed after it bricked.

If it's a Seagate 7600.11 drive you had better upgrade the firmware. Google Seagate Bricking and read up. I had a hell of a time getting my Seagate drive fixed after it bricked.

I think is up to date, but I'm checking the official site...thanks!

1. Click Start, type cmd, right-click and select Run as administrator.
2. Run the following commands:

regsvr32 vbscript.dll
regsvr32 jscript.dll

Check if the issue gets fixed. If not, follow the steps mentioned below:

Boot into safe mode and check if you can access pictures on the portable hard drive without any errors.

Refer the following article for more info on how to boot into safe mode:

Advanced startup options (including safe mode)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-modehttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Advanced-startup-options-including-safe-mode

If you were able to access pictures without any errors in safe mode, I’d suggest you to put your computer in clean boot state and troubleshoot the issue.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same.

Access the link below for more info on how to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7:

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

You may also check the hard drive for errors, if any, and check if that fixes the issue.

You can solve some computer problems by checking a drive or drives for errors. For example, you can check your computer's primary hard disk to fix some performance issues, or you can check an external hard drive if it's not working properly.

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button, and then clicking Computer.
2. Right-click the drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check now. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will report problems but not fix them.

To perform a thorough check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the drive itself, and it can take much longer to complete.

To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

4. Click Start.

Refer:

Check a drive for errors
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errorshttp://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Check-a-drive-for-errors

Note: If any bad sectors are found while running the check disk utility and if attempt recovery of bad sectors is checked while checking the drive for errors, the data in the bad sector may be lost while attempting to recover bad sectors.

Hope this helps!

Note: I got this from a post by

Gokul - Microsoft Support

[If this post was helpful, please click the "Vote as Helpful" (green triangle) button. If it helps in resolving your issue, click "Propose As Answer" or "Mark as Answer" button. By proposing/marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]

Thank you very much for your reply omnichornos, I will check this when I get home.

The problem never went away and I had to resort to PICASA for browsing my pictures and Windows Media Classic for my videos...

Hope this solution works!

I don't know whether registering the DLLs will work, but just go to Start ? Run, and type regsvr32 vbscript.dll& regsvr32 jscript.dll hitting Enter after each command

No need to type cmd

You should receive a message like DLLRegisterServer in jscript.dll succeeded

I had a go-around with that thing, same error that you showed us. I Googled,and found about a million solutions. The solution to mine was an update to my video card drivers. I'm not saying that will help you, just sharing.
I'm running Win.7 - 64 bit.

Last edited:
thanks for your information......
I'm also using win 7 64 bit.
I remove my kaspersky antivirus 2010 then the problem never showed off.....i dont know whats going on. So now should re-install kaspersky or not.

Ya, I think kaspersky is very good, but I'm running free Avira. It seems that many different things can cause this Com Surrogate thing.
By all means, keep some sort of anti-virus program, don't go online without something.

Back